What would you do???

Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

I know I would call and let the manager know about it and I would give him my name and let him know I would bring the money back. This way no employee will not be in a bad situation or have to worry about the shortage until I returned.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Absolutely bring it back.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

I have been given $10 extra at the Walmart checkout. The girl gave me $10 extra, plus the amount of my purchase. I had to ask for a piece of paper and figured it out by hand so she could see her mistake. Poor thing was even more math challenged than I am.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM

I would definitely return it!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM

had a similar wxperience with a clerk about change. I had already paid my bill, then decided to get a pack of gum. I handed the clerk a one dollar bill, and she handed me change totalling over the one dollar. I called it toher attention, and she said, :just keep it, I don't know how to charge you that for the gum without the register telling the amt of change you have coming back.... duh!!!!! I very slowly, and kindly did the math for her, and she said, thanks, but it don't matter to me........... come on now,, what is coming to this generation???
Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 PM

I was shopping Thanksgiving night at Kohls's. I had a set of luggage and a large toy on the counter along with a pair of expensive earrings. She passed the earrings on by w/o charging me. The were small and she didn't notice them amoung the big stuff I had. I looked at the receipt and seen what she did wrong so I took it back to the clerk to correct it.
I don't know if the cashiers have to make up the difference in their drawer if they are short.....but, I did to her what I would want done to me.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 PM

I'd take it back. I would never want someone else to have to pay for my gain. If God wants me to have 'free' money, I'll win a lottery or something.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:37 PM

A friend of mine bought a couple of outfits at a large department store and when she got home she realized they had not charged her for one of the sweaters she had bought. She phoned the store and talked to the salesperson, explained the situation and said she would come to the store the next day to pay for it. When she arrived at the store the next morning the salesperson told my friend to wait one moment because her manager wanted to see her. The manager came over and my friend was ready to pay him and he said, " Oh no, you don't have to pay for it, it was our mistake. But I just wanted to see what an honest person looked like."
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Years ago, while I was in high school, I had a part-time job at a local pharmacy. I was taught how to work the register, but not how to count change back. I didn't think this was an issue until the day I put the wrong amount into the computer. Garbage in, garbage out! I had no idea how to fix it! Fortunately, the kind soul who was my customer took one minute to teach me how to count change back, and I have been forever grateful. I have tried to teach other cashiers in turn, but they just cannot grasp the concept. It's very frustrating and makes me fear for our future.

Count me among those who would return the money. It's not mine, so taking it would be wrong. The only time I've not returned money is when there is no possible way of finding the owner, like the $10 bill I found on an empty street one time. I honestly think that was a "higher power" that understood I needed to buy both milk and diapers that day, and didn't have enough money for either.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by sandilee View Post
I was shopping Thanksgiving night at Kohls's. I had a set of luggage and a large toy on the counter along with a pair of expensive earrings. She passed the earrings on by w/o charging me. The were small and she didn't notice them amoung the big stuff I had. I looked at the receipt and seen what she did wrong so I took it back to the clerk to correct it.

I don't know if the cashiers have to make up the difference in their drawer if they are short.....but, I did to her what I would want done to me.
cashiers ARE responsible for making sure that their drawers balance. They could be FIRED. $100 is very serious! I ran a retail store for 13 years. If there was a pattern of a few cents difference here and there with a particular cashier...overages OR shortages, it was always a red flag for possible theft!!! (Take out $$. Pay back $$).

You betcha, with computerized cash registers ( we had them in the 1980's) each time a cashier logs in...they are accountable for their drawer. Too many instances can result in termination. 100$ would be very obvious! Those bills are not usually kept in the top drawer. Mistakes happen but a repeat offender would pay the consequences. I hate that show btw.

as for not "teaching" the staff how to count change bag, they should have learned basic math skills before high school graduation! Just yesterday I was at a fast food restaurant paying for our dinners.

TOTAL: $11.03
GAVE: $20.05

the LOOK on that kids' face was priceless, SAD!! She was stumped!!

i had to do the math for her as she made a lame excuse about "have already" punched in the $20 bill into the register. This Math could not have been more simple! I was snarky and suggested that she learned how to count. (Or she would forever be in fast food...my thoughts..but I refrained saying this part). VERY SAD! Happens all too often. I have seen the cashier ask the manager to help with a similar situation... not bad to ask but learn to count change!

Sandy