What would you do???

Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 AM

I'd return it. I found a 20 dollar bill on the ground outside my credit union. I went back in and gave it to one of the tellers because I thought someone would realize they lost it or got short changed. A month later no one had claimed it so the 20 dollars was posted to my credit union account. Honestly is the best policy. Maybe I'm old fashion that way.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I remember in 6th grade our math teacher had all of her class learn to make change. We divided up, one the shopper one the clerk. The shopper had a ticket to give the clerk. Hard ones for us! Bill was 8.73 and the clerk was handed either $10, $9, or other amounts. It was fun but we had to think. Not one class member could fail, we all had to pass counting change. I remember the last one to 'get it' was a boy who kept joking around. He had to make change until he got it right. LOL I thought my kids how to make change by playing store with them. The school didn't teach that and didn't teach how to tell time! My DD said her teacher said it wasn't on the Benchmark test so no need to learn it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Oh, someone gave it to you by mistake... I get it. sorry. Then of course I'd return it. Salespeople get into trouble and usually have to cover any losses they are responsible for. Bosses can be mean. So, right is right.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM

Regardless of what or where I would always take it back. For me it boils down what is the ethical thing to do. While still teaching, I actually used some real-life scenarios such as your example to have my students become aware of ethics in our daily life and how our actions can have far reaching consequences on others.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
as for not "teaching" the staff how to count change bag, they should have learned basic math skills before high school graduation!
I can't help but feel this is directed at me and my story, and I'm a little hurt at the insinuation. I did state that I was in high school at the time. I learned math, algebra, and geometry, but I was NOT taught how to count change back in school. Nor was I taught how to balance a checkbook, or how compound interest works. My mother taught me how to balance my checkbook and budget money, but it wasn't until I worked an entry-level job at a real estate firm that I grasped the concept of compound interest. And based on my experiences in that job, I was far from being the only person who didn't understand it.

These are all skills that SHOULD be taught as the basics in school, but unfortunately they are not.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 AM

I have always told the checker if I get too much money... I even walked out with a gift card I was not charged for and went right back into the store and paid. Some place along the line someone if paying for the items. I know years ago I use to check at a grocery store and if you did not come out correct at the end of the day that was taken from your pay check. What a lesson to learn quickly!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:39 AM

We learned how to count money and make change in grade school. How did it fall by the wayside?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 AM

I would be so afraid the clerk would loose their job , so I would have to take it back .
Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I wouldn't want to miss heaven for a hundred dollars.
I agree!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 AM

I would take it back. Years ago I was in a sewing store buying material for my daughters wedding dress and lost my wallet. I had over $500 cash in it. To make a long story short I went to the bank and canceled my cards got more cash out and continued on. Never did get my wallet back so had to stop all cards and replace them. I will never forget the hurt so yes I would give the money back.