What would you do???

Old 12-05-2013, 04:25 PM

I would give it back also. What if that were my money?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM

I would bring it back - I have always been like that - no one else may know - but I would know and that is enough for me.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Take it back. It's wouldn't be mine and I wouldn't be keeping it.
I agree. I have a conscience that would never let me keep it.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM
ro
Banned

i'd think someone could lose their job because of this mistake. and i hope i'd take it back.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Take it back. Whoever made the mistake could lose their job or have to pay it back. Plus, I just wouldn't feel okay with keeping it. It's not mine.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Take it back. It is priceless to see the clerks face when you are being honest.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 PM

My Daddy did this with me when I was a little girl. He told me "If you don't know how to count back change, then you won't know if you are being cheated". My dear, dear Daddy only had a fourth grade education, but he was a wise man in many ways.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I remember in 6th grade our math teacher had all of her class learn to make c
hange. We divided up, one the shopper one the clerk. The shopper had a ticket to give the clerk. Hard ones for us! Bill was 8.73 and the clerk was handed either $10, $9, or other amounts. It was fun but we had to think. Not one class member could fail, we all had to pass counting change. I remember the last one to 'get it' was a boy who kept joking around. He had to make change until he got it right. LOL I thought my kids how to make change by playing store with them. The school didn't teach that and didn't teach how to tell time! My DD said her teacher said it wasn't on the Benchmark test so no need to learn it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM

There are other honest people in the world too. I have to share a recent experience. Wednesday night before Thanksgiving I had an emergency shortage of pie filling. Ran to Walmart. As I was leaving I was mentally going through my dinner the next day making sure I had everything else. On my way home I noticed my purse was not I the passenger seat.....hmmmm must be I the trunk with the bags. Got home no purse. I flew back. Ran inside in a panic. Had all my Christmas shopping money for Black Friday in that purse. Some kind soul did what you all would do...they found my purse in the cart outside and turned it in. Not a penny was missing. I was so thankful. The dear Lord was certainly watching over me that night!
To answer the original question...without a doubt I would return as quick as I could!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by charlotte37830 View Post
My Daddy did this with me when I was a little girl. He told me "If you don't know how to count back change, then you won't know if you are being cheated". My dear, dear Daddy only had a fourth grade education, but he was a wise man in many ways.
This reminded me, my Grandpa only had a 4th grade education too. In the fall when all the ranchers would bring in the cattle off the summer mountain pasture, he was always posted at the gate to count the cattle. Someone asked him one time how he could keep up with the head count as many cattle would come through the gate at the same time? His reply, "Its very simple, count all the legs and divide by 4." As for me, I would take it back, I used to cashier.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM

I believe the vast majority of people are honest and believe in the golden rule. We will not only know what to do but will do it, and I doubt that anyone who would do otherwise would admit to it in a public forum. Anyway, quilters are especially nice, aren't they!

It reminds me of a time when my daughter was 5 and we were standing in line in a busy store in a holiday rush. She spotted something on the floor that turned out to be a $20 bill. We immediately gave it to the cashier, who called her manager over. They had a policy in place of keeping any found money for a set time (don't remember how long) in case anyone came in and said they'd lost that amount. If it was unclaimed the finder would be given the money. I figured that someone behind us in line might have witnessed the whole scene and could easily have a friend come forward about a "lost twenty", but we eventually got the call that my daughter would get to keep the money. We felt bad for whoever lost it, especially because it might have been a kid. The bill had been rolled up tight and didn't even look like money when DD picked it up. I will have to ask her if she remembers this incident more than 30 years ago. I don't remember what she bought, but I think she put quite a bit of it into the Salvation Army kettle.