What would you do???

Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 PM

Inform about the extra money. You never now you may have a thank you. It isn't your money so it must go back. I just wish the person who keeps paying a direct debt with my money would stop.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I would have to go back and tell them . First its not mine...second someone likely lost their job when the register got checked at the end of the shift.
Happened to me many yrs ago.....deposited $$into checking account, requesting $$$too, went thru drive-thru and just went home where I realized had over $100 more in cash than I had requested. Bank was already closed so next day went with my story.....they were surprised I came w/$$$. Only comment was oh, she was short over $1,000.00' thank you!!!!!!! Needless to say I changed banks quickly, just seemed so nonchalant about shortage.......

But I did feel I did the right thing returning what was not mine.......
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM

My son went through the bank drive thru teller machine, there was 60.00 in the machine the previous customer failed to get. He took the money into the bank and suggested they follow up with the previous transaction on that machine and contact the owner. A week later I get a call from the bank, they wanted my son to come pick up the money. They said they could not look up the previous transaction. that's scary!,,,
Old 12-06-2013, 06:10 AM

Give it back, this did happen to me. Once we were camping and my son found a baggy with almost $300 in it. We went to every camper and found the young woman who lost it. She was part of a bike group going across the US. The bag had her drivers license and cc. She was in tears. It made our day.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Great reply barny! My sentiment exactly. Besides which, it's the right thing to do. Maybe in someone's case who could use the money; the hard thing to do. But doing the right thing when it's also the hard thing is what we do. To keep ourselves intact spiritually (and not necessarily the religious slant of spirituality).
Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I would really like to keep it as things are very tight BUT I would give it back because I would not want to be the one that had the shortage in my drawer taken out of my check... or worse!!
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 AM

You should return it. You will feel better and so will the one who made the error.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
KLO

One has to live with oneself and look in the mirror every morning. I would not be able to do that if I kept the money. For instance, I bought a bag full of fabric at a local quilt shop many years ago. Paid by check. When I got home, I found the check in my bag of fabrics. No one but me knew that but I had to call the shop right away and tell them I would mail the check to them. I know I would not have been able to sleep that night otherwise. I think most people are like that, don't you? Of course, we usually only hear about the "bad guys" in the news .... paper or TV.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:06 PM

I would take it back as soon as my fat little legs to get there. I had a clerk accidentally give me my check back with my receipt many years ago and did not realize it until I got home. I went straight back to the store. (They gave me a free pie)
Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
I would take it back. But on one occasion I was at the bank and I cashed my work check. I stepped to the side and recounted it and found out that the teller gave me $100 extra. I got back in line and told her that she had made a mistake. She said I Don't MAKE MISTAKES...... With that I turned and walked away and kept the money. I am sure that at the end of the day she would eat her words.
Banks are the worst! Many years ago, i need $40 ATM money on a Saturday (quick cash). There was a $20 bill hanging out of the machine. The place was closed of course and deserted. No sign of any one. I took the $20 and did not use the ATM figuring it was malfunctioning. So I used the $20 to "get by" until Monday when I could let the bank know and write a check to cover the use of the $20.

I called from work early Monday to let them know what had happened. They were very upset that i had "used" the $20 bill instead of saving it to return it to them even though I explained my dilemma. AND they acted like they would have to suffer major surgery to accept the check instead. They were clueless as to how to handle this. I told them, you know me. . . do you want the money or not? They grudgingly "let" me bring them a check. Go Figure.

Of course I took them my check! That was the one and only time I could have cheerfully choked these otherwise very nice employees.