What would you do???

Old 12-06-2013, 04:54 PM

I would take it back because someone will have to make up the difference. And I would never ever feel good again about myself if I kept it.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:53 PM

i'm with those who would high-tail it back as soon as possible. not only would it bug my conscience, it'd be as though i stole it. it has to be made up somewhere, and in this day and age, a $100 buck shortage in a cash drawer might well mean someone's job. (it had to go somewhere, and most employers would assume it's in someone's pocket.) money badly gotten is never well-spent...

great conversation to be having! every moment is a teaching moment. hypothetical situations are best, because nobody has had to bear a burden because of it!

Last edited by svenskaflicka1; 12-06-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 PM

I'd take it back, its not mine.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 PM

Take it back! 1. God says it's stealing and he would make you pay ten fold! 2. 100.00 would be termination at most jobs!
Tessagin- sad they put you through all that because I have kids that worked there, they were told if they see anyone stealing they were not allowed to stop them, run after them unless its big ticket stuff like big tv's!!
I've returned as little as a few cents, people look at you as if your nuts sometimes when you try to return money! Ive taken merchandise back in Ive forgotten to pay for and either they didnt get I wante to pay for it and tried giving me refund or actually been treated like I was stealing it!!!
Glad to know there is still great people still here!!! :-)
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 AM

Mine is a little different....At a thrift store, I saw a child looking at purses and found a $20 bill inside one of them .Her mother told her to give it to one of the "stockers". She did & the lady just grabbed it and put it in her pocket (with a kind of funny look). I watched her for a while and she kept working..... I found the manager and told him what had happened and I also told him I felt that it would not be turned in.... so I was just letting him know that there was a $20 that had been missed when processing their merchandise. He thanked me and said he would take care of it.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I can't help but feel this is directed at me and my story, and I'm a little hurt at the insinuation. I did state that I was in high school at the time. I learned math, algebra, and geometry, but I was NOT taught how to count change back in school. Nor was I taught how to balance a checkbook, or how compound interest works. My mother taught me how to balance my checkbook and budget money, but it wasn't until I worked an entry-level job at a real estate firm that I grasped the concept of compound interest. And based on my experiences in that job, I was far from being the only person who didn't understand it.

These are all skills that SHOULD be taught as the basics in school, but unfortunately they are not.
And unfortunately they still are not!! Very frustrating since I have a High Schooler. I have made it a point to teach my children how to count change and percentages. OMG, how many kids do not know how to do percentages. When we go out, it has always been: Okay this shirt costs regularly $24.95; it is 30% off. How much does it cost? Now we get another 10% discount so how much now? All without using a calculator, please! These are simple math skills that should be taught in every school, including basic finance. Not many kids will need to use their Algebra 2 once they are out of school!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I would bring it back - I have always been like that - no one else may know - but I would know and that is enough for me.

That is the way I feel, too!! A couple of year's ago, I had gone Black Friday shopping (yeah, I know, crazy me!) and I had gone to several stores and was loaded up with lots of bags when I made a last stop at Bath and Bodyworks. I grabbed their mesh shopping tote and proceed to fill it up with all kinds of goodies, paid, went home and discovered several small items inside one of my Macy's shopping bags that accidentally had fallen in there instead of gone in the mesh tote! I was mortified and took it back the next day to pay for it all. My kids still talk about that incident and I feel they learned a valuable lesson that day: Honesty is the best policy!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Take it back. I'd know that is was a mistake, and someone would have to either pay it out of their pocket, or could even lose their job. I like to think honesty is paid forward, so perhaps one day someone will do the same for me.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM

I bought some things at an antique store in Pa. years ago and was talking or at least DH was, then we said our good-byes and left. Stopped in another antique store and rummaged around there for a time. When I went to pay, found the check still in my wallet for the other place. We were 20-30 mountainous miles away. Called them up and they waited open for us to return.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sewready View Post
Take it back, SOMEBODY will have to make up the $100.00 difference out of his/her own pocket and that could cause them a great financial hardship.

Or their JOB! I'd take it back for sure!

Nan