what would you do?????

Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM

That is so difficult. We are so quick to feel guilty. We women are problem solvers and nurcherers (?) I think that you did the right thing also. A woman alone is tough. With seat belts and air bags, we are pretty well protected today. I truly believe you did the right thing.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bob1414
I would have stopped - I'll help anyone and if it puts me at risk, well, then it does. I had my car break down on the way home from work and the weather developed very quickly into a blizzard on my drive (in the evening). I was wearing a dress and nylons. I walked on a highway for miles toward a light(farmhouse). When I got there, I couldn't even speak - thankfully they knew me and were able to phone someone to come get me. Several cars drove by me - saw my car with the emergency lights flashing, saw me (female) walking along the highway - yet NOBODY stopped.

I recently gave an intoxicated man a ride - it was hovering around zero degrees. He could have had a weapon, I guess. I will always help people and refuse to live my life being afraid and I will always try to help.

Everyone has a right to make their own decisions - probably no right or wrong decision - but this is what I do.

Hope I don't sound like I'm preaching - I'm just passionate about helping.
I'm glad you are this type of person, but please be careful. My BIL has your exact same attitude....until he stopped to pick up a lady who was having trouble and was by herself. My BIL is a large guy, but...this woman pulled a gun, pistol whipped him and robbed him at gun point. Its sad, but you just never know.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Maybe some may think it wasn't the right thing; but it was what most of us would have done also, so forgive yourself.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 PM

I think if I were in the same situation I would have done exactly the same thing. I've watched too many episodes of Law & Order & Criminal Minds to risk stopping in the woods, in the dark, at night, by myself, to investigate.

#1 priority: get help. Exactly what you did.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM

I Would Have Done just What You Did
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM

I think you have to work with what feels comfortable for you. When I was a teenager, a friend and I came across a bad car smash. We stopped to see if we could help, There were no cell phones in those days and even fewer public phones. There were three injured men - two of them needed emergency help. They got into my friend's family car and we drove them to our local ambulance station which was next door to the police station. We later found out that it was a stolen car and that they had escaped from a prison thirty kilometres away...We were obviously lucky that they were too hurt to do too much to take another car from two teenage girls. So you don't know what is in store from any decision.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM

always just get to the nearest phone or go for help. i just missed a man once on a california hwy that had something wrong. no cell pone in those days so got to the nearest phone and called the police. it was a illegal that had been shot in back of the head and it exited out of his mouth. The police followed his blood traik to a house they were using to hide people. he lived cause they got to him fast enough if i would of stopped i wouldn't of knowm what to do or if the bad guys were still after him and my kids were with me. so better to get someone that is trained to do what needed to be done instead of wasting valuable time. you did the right thing
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM

You did the right thing for you. I am of the same mindset as Bob1414, I would have tried to help if I saw the accident happen. If I came upon the wreck, I would have been extremely cautious, but I would have stopped. I, too, have walked in the freezing cold.

You called for help and you followed up to make sure everyone was OK. You did good!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:33 PM

You should not feel guilty for leaving, you may also have saved your own life, you never know what could be a set-up. Things like that happen. You did the best thing you could given the circumstances. And see the person is OK.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 PM

As an older female, I would most definitely have gone on to be able to call on my cell. The absolute and ONLY way I would have stopped was if I saw the car crash and it was burning, then I'd probably have stopped. Not otherwise at all, on a dark night and on a deserted road.