Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's your Easter miracle? >

What's your Easter miracle?

What's your Easter miracle?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 AM

I thought I would share with the Board my Easter miracle. Last night about 7:45 pm my husband was on our mower mowing close to the edge of the pond. He hadn't mowed there yet this year, and the grass was pretty overgrown. Due to the lower light of dusk, him being tired, and the overgrowth, he misjudged where the drop-off of the bank was. The mower got stuck, and as he tried to maneuver it away from the bank, it turned backwards and began sliding down the bank. Thinking quickly, he turned off the blades and hit the kill switch for the motor. As I watched in horror from the hot tub (I had just gotten in) he slide backwards into knee deep water....where the motor made a few bubbling sounds and then all was silent.

What's the miracle?? That the mower didn't flip over on top of him...that when the rope we were using tied to the tow tether broke the resulting hook flying through the air only put a dent in the back of our van and didn't hurt our two daughters standing nearby....that our very busy but kind neighbor with a tractor came over and helped us pull it out...that no one has complained of itching from all the poison ivy on the bank edge that we all had to wade through and reach around as we tried to pull the mower out....that he wasn't injured except his pride, as he is really angry at himself for misjudging the edge, mowing in lowered light, and mowing when he was tired.........It all could have been so very much worse. A fact I reminded him of when he awoke at 2am this morning with a nightmare from the whole thing.

And now, we will have to take it in to the repair shop, which means being without it for several days....so the completed miracle to all this will be that we have no more rain until we get the mower back (I know that is selfish of me, but hey, the grass is already overgrown in places around the 10 acres we have to mow), and that the engine block is not cracked (which would mean we would have to replace the entire motor...could cost as much as $4000 for a new engine), and that the electrical components aren't messed up.......I will let you all know how this turns out.

But today, we are all alive, healthy, the mower is out of the pond, and, while this is a set back, we will be ok, no matter what happens.

All of us have situations in our lives that play out in ways we don't expect. Some good, some bad....

But if you had to be thankful for something this Resurrection Day...if you had to label something in your life a miracle....what would your Easter miracle be?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 AM

That my youngest son,disabled vet with seizures, drove home from KY to be with us for Greek Easter. His new Meds are working and he is seizure free to drive but it has other Ill effects. But it was a wonderful surprise.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:21 AM

Thank you for sharing your stories with us. God still does preform mircales every day. We should all so thankful.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 AM

We have had some bad storms here the last few days. My husband working with the water department was called out in the middle of the storm last night to fix a huge water leak. he was in a hole in the ground apx 6 feet deep along with another man. Lightning struck the ground next to them. The lightning traveling through the water could have killed them both instantly. Thank you Jesus for your merciful heart.

Today as with everyday we sing your praises.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 AM

It is not a miracle per say; but God gave an angel her wings this morning at 7:10am when my beloved godmother passed away. The good is that she was able to go peacefully and not suffer as she could have with her cancer. I was blessed to have her in my life, and got an extra blessing when my parents chose her to be my godmother.
Happy Easter
Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Banned

I am so happy that he wasn't injured. As for blessings- not to sound sappy, but I guess I will anyway- but every breath we take, every love we have, every freedom we enjoy, every bite of food is a blessing. Our blessings are so commonplace that sometimes we don't even acknowledge them.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mamaw
It is not a miracle per say; but God gave an angel her wings this morning at 7:10am when my beloved godmother passed away. The good is that she was able to go peacefully and not suffer as she could have with her cancer. I was blessed to have her in my life, and got an extra blessing when my parents chose her to be my godmother.
Happy Easter
Mamaw,

Sending my thoughts and prayers your way. My grandmother died close to Easter several years ago and I still miss her everyday. I was so lucky to have her in my life. Blessings to you.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM

A poem I wrote after my daughter was T-boned in her car Easter Sunday 2003:

The day begins
Mom has to go to work.
Dad is off this Easter Sunday.
Daughter goes to work at Rite-Aide.

It turns out to be a beautiful warm day.
I imagine it was a beautiful warm day when
Our Savior rose that Easter Sunday.

Daughter leaves her job at Rite-Aide around 4.
She must have left the window rolled up even
though it is warm outside.

She stops for a red light.
Then it turns green and she moves forward.
Just then her world goes dark.

She does not hear screeching tires, metal being
crushed, glass shattering in a million different
directions. The Lord has sent 10,000 angels to protect
her, and to keep her on Earth with the people who love
her.

She does not hit the steering wheel.
The Lord has seen to it that the beautiful face he gave
her is not disfigured.
She does not suffer any broken bones or internal injuries
that could quickly take her life.

She has people around her almost immediately to monitor
her vital signs and see to it she gets the help she needs.
These are angels God has put here on the Earth.

She is spared seeing what is left of the vehicle she has named "Sally" twisted and contorted around her.
She does not remember the sounds made to get her out of the vehicle. Again there are angels at work.

She gets a ride up in the sky to take her to the best trauma unit in the area. Dad will tease her later "what do you mean you don't remember the helicopter ride".Mom does not find out she got the ride in the sky till she get to the Emergency Room. (she know what a ride in a helicopter means)

It is quite some time before Mom and Dad get in to see her ... they are running tests. What a joyous relief to see her still in one piece. I hug her but not too hard as there are visible bumps, bruises and cuts. She stays in the hospital only overnight.

Thank you Jesus for your love for us.
Thank you Jesus for your love for our daughter.
What a miracle my Easter Sunday has turned out to be.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My little extra special, above and beyond the day's expected miracle was my sister at brunch this morning. Roz is in the late stage of her 4 year battle with ovarian cancer, but she went out with Mother, me, and Roz's daughter to celebrate the daughter's birthday and Easter together.

She was feeling really bad as we arrived at the restaurant, very pale, quite nauseous, off-balance, spacey. At the table, in front of everyone, I was quietly led to pray with hands on for Jesus to with her to feel much improved and enjoy this time together. Within a few minutes we all noticed she was participating more and her color had really improved. It was a really blessed time for us all, especially as we know these times are becoming fewer and fewer.

Jan in VA
Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
Happy Easter
mamaw: Sometimes the hardest "miracles" to see are the ones that move a loved one from this world to the next. My thoughts and prayers are with you, that your heart wouldn't grieve too long (I am sure she wouldn't want you to hurt too long), that you will be filled with many, many wonderful memories of your dear godmother, and that you will be inspired to make her a special quilt..."in loving memory" of this dear person. Hang in there, and rejoice that the end of this life, especially today, means the beginning of the next.