What's your Other Hobby?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sharonve View Post
I'll bet nobody else has this "hobby"..........catching voles. When we came home from Texas voles had taken up residence under our sunroom and had made grooves all over our yard under the snow looking for grass to eat. So I looked online and discovered how to catch them. Only caught a few but now I think they're reproducing because I have caught 16 already. They are smaller and cuter than mice with beautiful thick charcoal fur but they aren't too smart. They go after the peanut butter oatmeal mixture on the mousetraps and get caught by the nose. Fortunately I'm not afraid of rodents!
...what you need is a little terrier! I have a Jack Russel/Beagle, and she is a great mouse/vole exterminator. She rid my yard of all these varments (I do have to watch her with ground hogs though, cause she would go after them too if I let her. Funny story, she actually sent one into a tree once...I didn't know ground hogs could climb trees! I was glad she didn't catch it!).

Watson is gorgeous! I love horses! Other hobbies of mine....biking & hiking (I am slowing down though), fostering cats & dogs, cross stitch, knitting & crocheting...I've given up painting just for lack of time.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
We are all quilters here and likely spend most of our free time doing that, but what else do you do?

My free time is spent between quilting and my namesake Watson, my horse. We show Dressage, which you can compare to figure skating compulsories....There is a standard test of figures which must be completed at certain points, in the required gait, in an arena within a time frame. Except in dressage, only one of the competitors (the rider) knows the test!

Here he is all dolled up for his show....
So...what do you do with your spare time???

Watson
pretty horse...you can tell you are enjoying yourself. My other hobby is painting and other kinds of sewing, not always quilting. ..
I just finished this welcome sign which is reversible
Attached Thumbnails snowmanwelcom.jpg   fruitbowl.jpg  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 PM

This Thread has been such an interesting read...love your horse and the picture you shared. I have one neice who does dressage and 2 other neices that do barrel racing. We only had a run of the mill horse when I was growing up, but when we kids all left home, my dad bought himself a fancier horse and taught it all kids of tricks. After I married my husband and I had two horses, a buckskin barrel racer and a palemino that was beautiful and just a saddle horse to ride. Those were the days..Now it's quilting, reading and collecting vintage Singers.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 PM

i herd toddlers, in my "spare" time. i retired early, to take care of the hubster, who has parkinson's. and then, the middle and youngest daughters discovered that they were "expanding" their lives. middle one thought it was the start of menopause. youngest just thought it was about time! so, at the ripe old age of 65, i was chasing the equivalent of twins--they are 2 months apart. i started caring for "lady zed" when she was only two weeks old, and her cousin a couple of months after that. it's two years later, and i'm still chasing them, and juggling hubby's care in the midst. and i haven't finished a quilt in those two years. oops. but i'm having the time of my life with auden and zelda!