Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's your remedy for athletes foot? >

What's your remedy for athletes foot?

What's your remedy for athletes foot?

Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM

I had my daughter in last year for athletes foot. Over the counter drugs work. I can't remember the name of the one she had told us to buy. You do have to bleach the tub out after they shower so it doesn't spread to others or somewhere else. :shock: My son ended up getting jock itch from it before I knew she had athletes foot. I kept a spray bottle with bleach in it to spray the tub down after everyone got out.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM

My naturopathic doc said fill a pan big enough for your feet with hot water, 1/2 cup of white vinegar, plus 1/2 cup of epsom salts. Soak for 1/2 hour every day, then brush on a Chinese remedy Tu Jin linament (you have to get these from a doctor who prescribes Chinese medicine, can get it isn the mail). I am using this for ingrown tonails that are infected, I am sure it is probably a yeast infection, too.

Lotrimin and those creams contain drugs that get absorbed into your bloodstream and have to go through your liver, which processes all your drugs, also the chlorine bleach...
Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 PM

soak your feet in Epson Salt.. you will notice a difference within a couple times soaking... works like a charm..
Old 05-12-2011, 06:09 PM

If you live near the ocean, go take a swim, if not, take a shower and pee on your feet, it works.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:43 PM

agree w/ vinegar
Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by joycecil
Bleach is toxic so please be careful.
you are exactly right about bleach being toxic. A better choice is hydrogen peroxide. I just read that it kills the fungus. And like everyone has said, clean dry feet are the preventative that works.
If someone in the house uses the same shower and they get the fungus then it can be spread to others. So spray down the bottom of the tub with hydrogen peroxide and forget it. You don't have to rinse it since it is completely non toxic and it kills germs too, plus it is very inexpensive.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:40 PM

Is "Absorbine Jr" still around,, it works and is over the counter.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM

I use boric acid for the shoes and feet. It works fast.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
Because Athelete's Foot is a fungus, keeping the feet dry and clean is a must. He will need a fungal cream to help get rid of what is there for now. Wearing white socks is a huge help, too, in the healing and soothing process. When feet are wet, they are prime for fungal growth. Scratching spreads and irritates the affected areas. I know that Walmart carries a tolfinate cream that is as good as the name brand to save some money. Hope this helps.
Also, he needs to have two or three pairs of shoes, so he does not wear the same pair two days in a row. My DD had a really bad problem with it, so I tried an old home remedy. I soaked her feet in nice warm water, that I had added two cups of yogurt to. (Plain only, and make sure it has no sugar in it, or you will be feeding the fungus.) When they have soaked for 30 minutes, rinse, pat dry, and put the Lamisil, Tolnaftate, or whatever on. Cover with clean white socks, and wear to bed. Change to fresh socks in the morning. As awful as this idea is, you may have to do this and replace the stinky shoes, especially if they are leather. Leather is a skin product after all. In between bouts of "stink-foot" he can use Gold Bond (or Walmart Equate brand) medicated powder to prevent it from coming back. I hope this is helpful.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 AM

I found that wearing 100% cotton socks was the answer to help prevent this problem. Naturally clearing up the fungus must be done first. Try to have him also go barefoot as long as he has it.