Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!) >

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM

I was 38. I got no line bi focals, now called progressive lenses.. At first, my "seeing far away" vision was still pretty bad & I only needed a little to see close. As the yrs. have passed the two have changed alot. I'm hoping some day they meet in the middle & I can stop wearing glasses.....HA HA HA..wishful thinking, I'm sure!! I never had any problems adjusting to them.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

In my late 30's early 40's....my long distance vision is fine....it's close work and reading that is the problem for me. Now I can't even read the print on cans, or packages so I have to use glasses when I shop. Hate it....but as my Dr said, "it's another one of those "birthday" things"
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 PM

I never had vision problems until about age 45, then needed reading glasses. When I was about 50 I started having difficulty with seeing distant objects and for the first time in my life I required corrective lenses. I have bifocals now and seem to do fine with them. When I first got them I tried progressive lenses but couldn't stand them (they made me dizzy). My only issue with bifocals is sometime when I'm using a desk computer my neck starts to get very tight and sore from holding my head up to look at the monitor through the bottom section of my glasses.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 PM

I have had glasses since I was about 9 and that was for distance but now close up is my problem, I love my progressive leases
Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 PM

I've had no-line bifocals for years. The day I got them, the technician told me to point my nose where I wanted to look. Didn't have any problems adjusting to them, not even on stairs. I think I'm getting to the point where I may need trifocals--distance, computer, reading & sewing. Sure hope they can grind the no-lines for 3 distances of looking. I am NOT having lines in my glasses.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 AM

I've been nearsighted all my life, in my late 40's started to need glasses for reading. I'm in the minority but I tried progressive lenses and HATED them. Could not get used to the lack of clear peripheral vision, not being able to look down going downstairs. But the final straw was the fact that shapes were distorted at hand-work distance: round plates looked oval when washing dishes, quilt squares looked like parallelograms. That was it; I took the progressives back and got two pairs of glasses, swap as needed and I am much happier.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 AM

i always joke that it was on my 40th birthday! honestly, it was very rapid... but then when i tried to get glasses, the correction was so small that they couldn't get a good prescription for me...the doc told me to buy readers and come back in a few years when my eyes had worsened enough to be able to fix them....according to him my eyesight was so good that i noticed even the small change and could not work with it.... i began with a 1.50 correction on good readers and by the time i was 60 i had moved to a 1.75.... every couple of years i kept thinking i needed stronger correction but then when i would try new glasses it would just be that the old ones were scratched and needed to be replaced... i'm 66 next month and have recently discovered that 2.0 is really nice at night, but i still use 1.75s during the day... i still don't need glasses for anything except reading but I am still amazed at how little correction i need but how complete that need is... i could no more see to hand sew or read normal type than the man on the moon, but otherwise,... completely fine....
Old 11-12-2011, 04:52 AM

When I was a child I was myopic, then it changed to sort of long vision with suppression and astigmatism in both eyes when I was a teenager and it has been popping back and forth ever since. Now I wear multifocals and take them off to work on the computer...talk about a pain in the neck! I have to wear them to read the shelf prices at the supermarket and my head is always tilted back. I sometimes think it would be less ridiculous if I whipped out a magnifying glass and looked like Sherlock.(To think I used to giggle at my father when he did this).
Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

With 46 I started having issues with reading. Now at times I wear those cheapy glasses from the pharmacy. They are the lowest reader ones (1.0 and 1.25) but it is annoying to wear them and it is annoying not to wear them. Half the time I can not find them eventhough by now I own 15 or so. I am fortunate that my far vision is very good. I do not like how my vision has affected my sewing.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 11-12-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:32 AM

Mine changed at 45, and it happened very quickly. I have bifocals now.....grrrrr.