Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!) >

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

When did you start losing your vision?? (no not the goal, the EYES!)

Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Hard to tell with me. I had to start wearing glasses when I was 8, started with bifocals when I was in my 40s. Had laser surgery when I was 54 --- but recently started wearing reading glasses most every time I read or do close work.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 AM

I found that working on computers all day was really bugging my eyes. So I went with an 'inbetween' pair and they were and are wonderful! Reading is still an issue, hate my bifocals, so usually just take my glasses off. But maybe you just need a separate pair of glasses to wear for close work.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 AM

I can't use the bifocals for sewing or the computer. I don't really like them for watching TV either. I worked for a group of eye doctors and one of them got me into the two different contacts. It took a little bit of time to get it right and if you've only tried it one time the doctor should keep working with you and changing them until you can see. I love what I have now because I don't have to wear reading glasses unless the print is so tiny I can't see it. My vision changed about 40, with me needing reading glasses along with my contacts. I've worn glasses and contacts since the 5th grade.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I've worn glasses since about 7 so I'm used to them. I needed to add bifocals at about 45. In my 50's it seems that they changed again. Instead of trifocals (for middle vision) I had a pair of that perscription made into whole lenses. I use them for computer work, sewing etc. My new perscription has changed again but this is a new one...my eyes have improved. It was a big relief because my mother has MD.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 AM

I have had glasses for distance since 8th grade . I am 67 yrs.old now and just in the last month or so decided that I need glasses for reading and hand work.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:59 AM

I got my first glasses in first grade. Coming home after getting them, I was so surprised to see what a plane looked like in the air. I could always hear them, just couldn't see them. At 66 I am up to trifocals now, lines and all.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:06 PM

I got bifocals when I was 12. I'm 23 now. My vision was really bad, but now I don't use bifocals; I have contacts. I have a pair of glasses that I wear when I don't wear contacts, but they are just regular since I don't wear them on a regular basis.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 PM

I was near 50 when I neded glasses.My prescription has only been changed once.Now I'm 72 & still don't use glasses for computer or newspaper & often go a wk without them. Now I have a cataract & dread having surgery. MIL never saw right after she had cataract surgery.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTheriault View Post
I got my first glasses in first grade. Coming home after getting them, I was so surprised to see what a plane looked like in the air. I could always hear them, just couldn't see them. At 66 I am up to trifocals now, lines and all.
I got my first pair of glasses when I was in first grade. When I got home and looked at the wall mounted that had always been in the kitchen, I saw the second hand for the first time. Obtained bi-focals in the 40's, but adjusted beautifully a couple of years later to trifocals. I am one happy camper with the executive lens with lens straight across as the visual area is wide.

Aren't we fortunate to be able to correct vision with lenses? What a blessing that we too often take for granted....
Old 11-12-2011, 01:27 PM

Well, I have worn glasses since I was 9. I am terribly nearsighted and have astigmatism issues. Since my early forties I have worn mono-vision contact (one for up close and one for distance). It seems every year I go to my annual visit, my eyes have changed slightly. I have a pair of no-line progressive lense bifocal glasses that I wear in the evenings. I have a pair of prescription sunglasses and a pair of regular glasses that I keep in the car to 'beef up' my distance vision when I am driving, especially at night. I also wear those if I am in a gymnasium or at a football game...otherwise I cannot see distance as clearly as I would like. It is a real hassle keeping track of my glasses! But, I hate wearing glasses all the time so I am willing to give up some clarity to wear my contacts.