Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations >

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I agree for the price of a computer and internet service, one could sure buy lots of fabric. Unless the above is considered an 'investment'.
I did get the check from the lady that wanted to buy my quilt frame and I shipped it right out, just as I said I would.
I give to charities and would give to anyone if I thought they really needed something, I don't like to be asked to give.
Giving doesn't come from the heart if you are asked to give.
Just the way I feel about it all.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Jingleberry...I do hope that I have not added strife to your hot issue.

I did not mean to, if I did.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I agree for the price of a computer and internet service, one could sure buy lots of fabric. Unless the above is considered an 'investment'.
I did get the check from the lady that wanted to buy my quilt frame and I shipped it right out, just as I said I would.
I give to charities and would give to anyone if I thought they really needed something, I don't like to be asked to give.
Giving doesn't come from the heart if you are asked to give.
Just the way I feel about it all.
But also, consider that some people go to their local library to use the computer or in my case my grandfather provides internet for the whole apartment building we live in... so we don't have to pay that particular bill. Plus, our computer is about 4 years old, and ready to be replaced and we cannot afford it... I'm trying to get a student loan for school so that I can get a computer for school... and thats another thing, our family is paying for my education AND a new baby... you have to take into consideration other peoples living situations... just because you can afford the internet, doesn't mean you have the extra money to afford fabric...

BUT! I do agree that new people who just come on here and ask and then never post again are wrong.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 PM

I have been able to help some people here, and when times were desperate for me, I have gratefully accepted help, too.
That being said, the times when I have had the ability to help, but chose not to, were based on feeling pressured, or by having a bad experience in the past. I am another that lives meagerly, and cannot afford to support those who live way beyond my means. I was not raised with such a sense of entitlement, but have seen it so much that I do understand that for some people, they firmly believe that home theater systems, vacations, and fancy cars ARE a neccessity. I feel sorry for them, but can't help them.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Gosh, I just hate reading the sad stories of having helped someone and feel they are not deserving. Maybe they aren't and we learn or maybe they were at the time? My issue here is that we should not disect the acts of giving be it from being asked or from observations. It is also a fact, how would we know if a person Needs, if they do not ask? And I do agree that there are always a few bad seeds in the many apples that fall from a tree, but I know myself, I feel better myself if I peel out the bad part and keep the good! The saying goes, there is good in all things large and small, I might have to look hard for it at times but it's there. Let's keep in mind that just having to ask for help or hinting at it, is hard.
Give what you can,if you cannot, that is fine. If you do not wish to give, that is fine too. But let's not have these conversations here, it's just makes all envolved feel bad. The giver and the receiver. Let's have faith in what we do and why we do it.

Ok, I probably went on too much or may have eyes glaring at me, but I just think it is unnecessary to discuss topics of this sort.

Blessings,

Sharon :)
Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Well said Sharon, What a gentle reminder that we can't be our best selves when we focus on negativity.
Perhaps the original point needed to be made, and others made aware, which was done, admin being the people who should be alerted to questionable practices. I'm glad to have learned that.
But yes, let's move on from negativity and get back into the supportive, generous and kind group this board is known to be. I appreciate and care for all of you, and hope that you don't let the few spoil the joy of sharing for you.
Hugggggggs and smiless everyone, let's go find a cheerful positive thread to take part in now!!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Gosh, I just hate reading the sad stories of having helped someone and feel they are not deserving. Maybe they aren't and we learn or maybe they were at the time? My issue here is that we should not disect the acts of giving be it from being asked or from observations. It is also a fact, how would we know if a person Needs, if they do not ask? And I do agree that there are always a few bad seeds in the many apples that fall from a tree, but I know myself, I feel better myself if I peel out the bad part and keep the good! The saying goes, there is good in all things large and small, I might have to look hard for it at times but it's there. Let's keep in mind that just having to ask for help or hinting at it, is hard.
Give what you can,if you cannot, that is fine. If you do not wish to give, that is fine too. But let's not have these conversations here, it's just makes all envolved feel bad. The giver and the receiver. Let's have faith in what we do and why we do it.

Ok, I probably went on too much or may have eyes glaring at me, but I just think it is unnecessary to discuss topics of this sort.

Blessings,

Sharon :)
Couldn't have said that better my self.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 PM

Let's end this with a positive note then. I just finished packing 7 boxes to go out tomorrow of scraps nad anything from FQ'a to yardage. Even took special requests for colors etc. It felt so good doing and picking fabrics, I felt like Santa reading the wish lists. They go out tomorrow and I know they will be appreciated even if I don't hear back. I have always heard back so far. For those of us who give because we are quilters, thank you. For those of us in need, please continue to ask for help, and if you always "use " the board we know who you are.....(Not really. ..I have no idea who anyone is. ) LOL ANd if you are one of the ones the boxes are coming to, all the ones I had ordered thru today are going tomorrow. Enjoy.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Marsye, i think it's really sad that you even started a thread like this. I've only read the first few pages on this, and am just in tears.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
One time a homeless man was asking for money by my husband's work, so I give him 5.00. I was wanting for my husband to get done with work so I was waiting awhile. And much to my surprise I saw the homeless mn walk away and get into a brand new Catty. Needless to say I needed the money more than him. That's Chicago for ya.
There was a man here that was panhandling and a woman felt bad for him but wouldn't give him money so she hired him instead to do some work around her house. He ended up kidnapping her daughter Elizabeth Smart.

I never give anything to anyone begging. I don't trust them.