Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations >

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM

I think this thread should be closed and/or deleted
Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 PM

oops sorry. I didnt see that we were ending this thread. That's what I get for responding before I read ALL the messages!! I promise to behave in the future.

Is there a way that we can delete our own messages?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 PM

The thread isn't locked. I would think you are more than welcome to post what you have to say until then.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Administrator

to be honest, i was very unhappy to see this topic posted. it's one of the type that never lead to anything productive or constructive.

sometimes questions like these are asked in innocence because a member is unclear about something and would like some advice from those with more experience in a particular area.

i have a feeling, however, that they are sometimes posted for the sole purpose of starting arguments. i can't help but picture the authors sitting at their computers with beverages and snacks, feeling thorougly entertained by the catfights and tears that fill the pages of response. is this one of those time? i don't pretend i know. i just wish i didn't need to ask the question.

the problem for moderators is that we can't always prove such things. we may have strong suspicions, but unless we can point to clear evidence of deliberate pot-stirring our hands are tied. in such cases we depend on the general membership to bring it to an end.

sometimes a moderator can be the judge. in a case like this, it's up to you as members to be the judge and jury. if i delete or lock this one, somebody will just start another one. and another one. and another one.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
to be honest, i was very unhappy to see this topic posted. it's one of the type that never lead to anything productive or constructive.

sometimes questions like these are asked in innocence because a member is unclear about something and would like some advice from those with more experience in a particular area.

i have a feeling, however, that they are sometimes posted for the sole purpose of starting arguments. i can't help but picture the authors sitting at their computers with beverages and snacks, feeling thorougly entertained by the catfights and tears that fill the pages of response. is this one of those time? i don't pretend i know. i just wish i didn't need to ask the question.

the problem for moderators is that we can't always prove such things. we may have strong suspicions, but unless we can point to clear evidence of deliberate pot-stirring our hands are tied. in such cases we depend on the general membership to bring it to an end.

sometimes a moderator can be the judge. in a case like this, it 's up to you as members to be the judge and jury. if i delete or lock this one, somebody will just start another one. and another one. and another one.
My thoughts exactly!!! I responded to one of these threads. I became suspicious about author's motives when I noticed that when one dies down another one pops up.
Thanks Patrice. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Marsye, i think it's really sad that you even started a thread like this. I've only read the first few pages on this, and am just in tears.
I can not speak for Marsye, but I think her intentions were not to be ill. If I was really new and young I would be one that would probably send my last yard to someone that may not be that bad off. If some one submits a warning, I will read it. Here in town, There was a lady that gave a guy some money...he was pretty sad looking. It was all they had until payday. They sat in their car trying to figure out what more they could do. The guy got up, deciding to call it a day and got into a new fancy Caddy! Talk about hind sight....I think this tread is no different tan others really, take what fits and leave what does not. No biggie, just my two cents....
Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 AM

Huh. There's an interesting viewpoint. I'm quite naive sometimes. Thank you, PatriceJ, that was an alert in itself.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Banned

I can not speak for Marsye, but I think her intentions were not to be ill.

I can speak for Marsye but why bother? My post would just get deleted like it usually does when I try to defend myself and in this case (or any other) I don't know why I would need to. It was a legit question.
:wink:
Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 AM

I am glad this post was created. I feel it was created with good intentions and it resolved what was determined to be a scam. We have wonderful members that will give their left arm and right eye to those in need.
Please, I encourage each of us to remember there are people that will misuse your goodness and kindness for their gain or to feed their need. This lessens our ability and willingness to open our hearts to those in need 'THAT WILL ALSO GIVE THEIR RIGHT ARM AND LEFT LEG' to those in need. We each have to make our own decisions but remember it is the internet and protect your selves from chronic takers./Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Banned

My two cents is that I'm glad this thread was started just to hear others viewpoints. And to learn that the private PMs that were going on from "strangers" were scams and those people are no longer on here (at least that we know of ;)) I do not believe there were any ill intentions in the creation of this thread ~ it was simply a question.

Again, it comes down to the fact that we are all adults. We can choose to read or not read. We can choose to help someone out or not. We can choose WHO we want to help, IF we want to. No one on here is making anyone do anything they don't want to do. Don't like the thread? Don't read it.