Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When someone doesnt pay  Lesson Learned. >

When someone doesnt pay Lesson Learned.

When someone doesnt pay Lesson Learned.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:21 AM

Business is conducted with Written Agreements and an INVOICE. It is NOT TOO LATE. Type up identical invoices, with your name and address, date them, include a photo if possible. (One Invoice for each purse made--assume they might talk behind your back--when they Each get a proper invoice, they will have something to Show and Tell!). Some people just need a simple reminder; others need a goad. Be professional in your controlled way; they will respond in a professional manner: this means Polite, Calm, No apologies, No begging, No whining; no going to their co-workers to complain. You might hand them the invoice with a gift, a muffin or cup of tea. SMILE. Tell them some pleasantries. "Your bag looks very nice with your outfit" if it is appropriate for the time and place. With an Invoice IN HAND, it will be their responsibility to do the right thing! And tell us how it goes! Curious minds want to know!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
This is just one of the reasons that I will not take on "paying" stitching jobs for anyone. If I decide to replace your jacket zipper, hem your pants or stitch you a quilt, it is my gift and my choice. That way no one gets hurt and I'm not left feeling used and taken for granted.
exactly. and it is ok to just say "NO"
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 AM

Value yourself & your work. Sell you knowledge and skills.

We require a non-refundable 'design deposit' before we draw up a pattern. This does two things.

1) We know the customer is serious because they've paid good money up front.

2) The customer has made sure we understand what is wanted because if he changes his mind and requests a redesign we charge another deposit.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Awhile back a co-worker asked me to make special quilts for his kids and I did. I even ordered special fabric. One was highschool musical and the other wrestling. I made the musical one but have never been paid so I'm not making the other one. I have a hard time asking for money so now I just say sorry I don't have the time or money.
Originally Posted by familyfun
Ok.. I made a purse for myself and took it to work. They went nuts over it. I work in a Very small dept. Only 6 people. One of the girls ask me to make her one. She has 2 kids with another on the way and her husband is having trouble finding another job after getting laid off. So I said. Yes I will make you one and you can just pay for the Pellon. I used scaps I probably would not have used in another project so when it was finished she loved it. I told her $10 dollars. Well did I get the money NO..
My Boss (who I absolutley LOVE) ask me to make her one. She said. I will pay you for your time. She then bought all the supplies (including thread) I made it. she carries it. has gotten compliments on it. But never paid me either..
So Lesson learned .. I will NOT be making anymore purses for people unless I get at least 1/2 the money up front.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 AM

I am totally floored by this! I can't believe they can look at you everyday knowing they owe you money. If you see them carrying the purse you made, you should say in the sweetest voice possible, "I'm so glad you are enjoying the purse I made you. Do you realize you still haven't paid me for it?"
I would have such a difficult time dealing with these people on a daily basis. As I write this, I can't believe how appalled and fired up I am over this. I hope they come around and pay you.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM

I always get the money up front !!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

When I read the title to your message I thought you had the same problem as me. I've loaned money to family, never got it back; I've sold things (garage sale) to family member and never been paid; and now I've sold some fabric, sent it to the person in good faith and can't get them to pay. I know I'm the fool for trusting people to do the right thing.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
This is just one of the reasons that I will not take on "paying" stitching jobs for anyone. If I decide to replace your jacket zipper, hem your pants or stitch you a quilt, it is my gift and my choice. That way no one gets hurt and I'm not left feeling used and taken for granted.
Amen, Sister. My standard reply when people learned I sewed was "I don't now and never will sew for the public." I have been blessed to do some small jobs for people I adored such as hemming pants and little odd jobs for grateful friends.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
So sorry - and how can they look at you everyday at work ?
This is what I was wondering .. all I gotta say is gutsy !
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 AM

I used to sew for people and for this very reason...I don't any more.