Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:34 AM

My older sister got me a sewing machine when I was 10. I have sewed ever since. I didn't start making quilts until about 5 years ago. I love my quilting group of friends. This is a problem, people think that if you sew you'll mend their stuff. I hate to mend.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 AM

I was sewing clothes for longer than I can remember. I made my own wedding dress when I was 17 years old, made all my childrens clothes even the boys first suits. tried quilting when I was 20 ish all by hand decided it was to hard. now 40 years later i quilt by machine and hardly ever make clothes
Old 10-28-2011, 03:38 AM

Hmm let see, as a teen made lots of my own clothing. That progressed to my sons (4) clothing and mending that comes w 4 sons, costumes, mending, sewing "crafts", curtains, more mending then didn't sew for years. Landed on quilting just recently to be my ONLY project(s). But oh no, son just dragged over his big, furry halloween costume wanting a zipper and some altertions, too. I'm full circle and lapped myself. Ha, such is life. :)
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 AM

I have been sewing since I could see over tht top of Grandmother's treadle machine. (oh how I cried when I found out my uncle took it to the dump!!!) I made doll clothes from scraps, then moved on to making my won clothes. I did that for years -- made formals, dresses, maternity clothes, suits, DD's clothes, son's jackets, some crib quilts, a bed quilt and halloween costumes. Never got the knack of making pants or knit tops. About 25 years ago, I got a job that left me little spare time -- made DD a couple of formals and DS some halloween costumes. About12 years ago, I retired and DD got me hooked on quilting. Haven't made much in the way of clothes since, though did make some things for a niece.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 AM

I have been sewing for over 50 yrs. Kept telling myself that I would not like quilting. About 5 years ago I took a quilting class and now that is all I want to do. Love it.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:41 AM

Love anything that has to do with needle & thread!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 AM

I sew household things, scarves etc. I don't sew anythng that needs to be fitted. I never liked any clothes I made except a wrap around robe that I wear so much it's wearing out.

i been sewing since i was probably 10 years old. three years ago got in to quilting. love it. i still make other things curtains, etc. i have made doll clothes. us girls use to make all of our barbie doll clothes. and also make some tops for my self.

I do a lot of craft sewing besides quilting. I have been sewing since I was 12 years old. Made all of my kids clothes including their coats. Now that they and their kids are grown I mainly quilt and sew. Do some sewing for others if they need it. Have also been embroidering quilt labels for some of the gals on this site.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:49 AM

I have sewed , I think about everything you could think of, designed band jackets, wedding dresses, cheerleader outfits, room decor, baby articles, crocheting, embroidery, swim suits, children and adult clothing, sew for my church, alterations, etc, etc--love it and quilt in retirement days for fun and enjoyment--love this board and the posts!!!!