Who made this cabinet?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by carhop
it is lovely wood but i agree $50 is about all you get for it
For $50.00 I would keep it! I think it is a lovely piece. Last year my husband bought me the Sewing table from JoAnn's and paid $100 and something for it. Yours is so much better. Honestly, I would keep it and find a way to make room. Besides good veneer is nothing to sneeze at either. Good luck with your endeavor.. From the looks of things, you have a lot of friends here who are willing to help you or take the cabinet off your hands. Edie
Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 AM

Fifteen or so years ago I bought a Viking to replace my Singer Athena 2000 ---- but I couldn't bear to part with the Singer. It sat in a closet for 10 years covered but totally ignored. A few years ago I had it serviced - just cleaning ----- nothing wrong with it ---- gave it to my daughter --- I still love sewing on it! What a great machine!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:58 AM

I have one exactly like this. It came with the Singer Athena 2000 about well, more than 25 years ago (or just about that time). How about putting it on ebay and let it be auctioned off.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
Originally Posted by carhop
it is lovely wood but i agree $50 is about all you get for it
For $50.00 I would keep it! I think it is a lovely piece. Last year my husband bought me the Sewing table from JoAnn's and paid $100 and something for it. Yours is so much better. Honestly, I would keep it and find a way to make room. Besides good veneer is nothing to sneeze at either. Good luck with your endeavor.. From the looks of things, you have a lot of friends here who are willing to help you or take the cabinet off your hands. Edie

I agree!! It's worth much more than $50.00! A beautiful piece of furniture and if you HAVE to sell it for money, try to sell it to someone inthe family with agreement that IF they wanted to sell it later you have the first option to buy it back. Thats the way we do it around here in my family...it works!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 PM

thanks for the link...very interesting and great history! Bonnie
Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM

If it's all wood, it will go for more than the junk they sell these days. But, of course, it depends on your location & whether someone really wants a sewing cabinet like that.
Good luck with it. It's beautiful.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM

I don't have room for it, but would love to have it if I did. I can't believe that you would get rid of it. - Cynthia
Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Have you checked on the underneath side of the cabinet for anything written there by the maker?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

I love that cabinet...painted white and updating the handles on it would make it a beautiful piece that I would LOVE to have in my sewing room! Do you happen to live in Ontario? LOL!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM

I bought one almost identical to this one about 30 years ago when I bought a new Singer machine. I got it at the Singer store. Thought it was the most gorgeous cabinet ever! Kept it until this past summer when I gave it to my DIL and DGD when I gave them by Bernina 135. I bought a new Janome HOrizon and didn't need both machines. I taught both of them to sew and they were thrilled. They even liked the cabinet! My new machine is too large for the cabinet.