Who Understands Algebra?

Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
Are these not supposed to be subtraction problems where:
a=46 if 5=51-a and u=5 if 17=22-u?
Guess I'm just way too simple minded when it comes to math! My grandchildren could likely do a better job.
The instructions say to solve the equation. If that helps.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Emjay
Hello Everyone,

I need a pat on the back for me today. My daughter's been through a great struggle re an ended relationship and complications (suicide on his part and scary for her) I ended up in the hospital, back home again, still don't feel up to working yet but the business is coming in anyway. She sounded better last night, thank God. I've had to be with her at her home or her here at home.

All of you out there who are mature adults working on your degree....I did it! Graduated in 2003. And you can do it. When you are finished, you will be so proud of your accomplishment and the experiences you had along the way. Believe me. My only regret is that I will be 70 this year and would still like to get a Master's Degree, but don't think I can handle anymore of the stress.

So, I am straightening my home, my sewing area, sewing(making drapes) and quilting.

Go for it Girls!

I am so sorry for all you family is gone through. you are in my prayers. Penny
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51 PM

I'm sorry to say that those instructions really don't help me much. Please don't let me make the situation more confusing!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lneal
Something about the 51 jumps to the other side and becomes a negative. Oh I'm not sure maybe the -a becomes a positive. Sorry maybe I should pm some of you instead, but it might help others too.

5 = 51 - a and another one similar is to it is

17 = 22 - u
Those are the same as this: 51-5=a and 22-17=u They're just teaching the property/number family that shows
51- 46=5
51-5=46
5+46=51
46+5+51

Just turn it around so you can understand it, then always plug your answer in for the letter (the unknown) to check.
If a=46, then 5=51-46 should be a true statement--and it is. :-D
Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 PM

Good for you! I started taking courses at the comm. college at about your age & I absolutely loved it! I loved algebra in high school, and even tho I have forgotten a lot of it, I tend to work out things in algebra before math. I am sure you will do much better than you think. Sometimes I think things make more sense when you are older. When I took it in college, I had the best grade in the class. Made me feel so good. You are going to enjoy your classes so much! Pat yourself on the back! I would offer to help you, but I know I have forgotten too much of it.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Has anyone heard of the term "jumping the shark"? We learned about it today in adult ed class. It's used when solving equation problems. Do they make these rules up as they go or is this another thing to confuse my mind? :lol:

This is the problem: 5 = 51 - a
Help :idea:
LOL, I think "jumping the shark" is a currently trendy term. The meaning I learned for it was the point where a TV show has gone past its point of top popularity and is now on a downswing. Never heard it applied to math, so I don't know what your teacher means.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's a method of bringing numbers and variables to the other side of the equal sign in order to solve the equation. Moving a negative to the other side of the equal sign makes it positive (and vice versa). Moving a divided number over means you multiply it. If it's a fraction, you flip it.

5 = 51 - a rearranges to:
a = 51 - 5, which is a = 46

17 = 22 - u becomes u = 22 - 17 or u = 5

Now, my answer looks completely different from barnbum's, so now I'm confused!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM

5 = 51 - a
5-51 = 51 - a- 51
you have to subratct 51 from both sides to isolate the variable
5 - 51 = -a (simplify)

-46 = -a

46 = a
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Equations like this may be easier to understand in a context.
5 = 51 - a would fit this situation: You come home from the fabric store and discover that you only have 5 dollars left in your wallet. You remember that when you started the day you had 51 dollars in your wallet. So how much did you spend at the fabric store? You have lost the receipt and can't look there!
5 (dollars left in wallet) = 51 (dollars to start out) -a (amount spent at the fabric store)

The amount you spent must be equal to the difference between 51 and 5, so a = 51 - 5 = 46.

Wow! $46 worth of fabric! Happy Quilting!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Has anyone heard of the term "jumping the shark"? We learned about it today in adult ed class. It's used when solving equation problems. Do they make these rules up as they go or is this another thing to confuse my mind? :lol:

This is the problem: 5 = 51 - a
Help :idea:

Thanks, Linda
All you really need to know in solving these problems is to do exactly the same thing on one side of the = as you do on the other. And you want letters on one side and numbers on the other.

So, 5=51-a Subtract 51 from each side
5-51=51-51-a Do the subtraction
-46=-a You want the letter to be positive so multiply
by -1
-1(-46)=-1(-a) Two negatives multiplied become positive
46=a
Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
Equations like this may be easier to understand in a context.
5 = 51 - a would fit this situation: You come home from the fabric store and discover that you only have 5 dollars left in your wallet. You remember that when you started the day you had 51 dollars in your wallet. So how much did you spend at the fabric store? You have lost the receipt and can't look there!
5 (dollars left in wallet) = 51 (dollars to start out) -a (amount spent at the fabric store)

The amount you spent must be equal to the difference between 51 and 5, so a = 51 - 5 = 46.

Wow! $46 worth of fabric! Happy Quilting!
Nice example!