Who Understands Algebra?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

When I went to college in my mid-thirties, many of the topics covered in modern high school algebra had not been taught in high school. Based on the pre-tests, I was advised to drop out of algebra and take a remedial course instead (obviously had forgotten a lot!)

What I did was go to the college bookstore to find a self-study workbook that I went through step-by-step to prepare myself for the class. I also used it as a secondary resource for the homework assignments from class. I worked all the assigned problems, plus the problems in the relevant self-study guide, and probably put in about four times as much time on homework as my classmates.

The professor graded on a curve. As the first test was handed back, he told us the scores ranged from 32 to 98. You guessed it. I had the 98. I was not at all confident about my understanding of what I was doing; all I can say is that spending a lot of time studying worked!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Such wonderful advice from everyone! Just remember, you can do it. It may be tough, but you're learning. And I bet you'll be able to look back and see how you've used algebra in everyday life all along. Have fun in college. Stay away from the keg parties!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chele
Stay away from the keg parties!
Having gone to college as an adult, I can attest that those adult students are often not well liked by the keg-throwing crowd. We tend to be there for different reasons (to learn) and often have the audacity to (OMG) ask questions, participate, and offer our view points. So no beer for the studious. sigh!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM

We do get smarter as we age, MadQuilter! Ask questions, participate in class and drink your beer in moderation when at home!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:01 PM

We do get smarter as we age, MadQuilter! Ask questions, participate in class and drink your beer in moderation when at home!

This is such the place for advice!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

great - I'm a smart closet drunk. Where's the fun in that? ggggggg oh - shoot, you did say moderation. I have a problem with that word: Those infamous experts say that blablabla in moderation is good for you. I get all excited UNTIL I read what their definition of "moderation" is. SORRY - but I refuse to open a bottle so I can nip a thimble full. grrrrr.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 PM

When I returned to school they provided tutors. Check with your school.

Best of luck,

Sharon
Old 03-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Congratulations on returning to school. I finished my degree in 2003 at 62. Loved it!

I had algebra when I was in high school and 1st qtr of college. High school was fun; college was not. Good luck.

Textile science was my problem area at age 60. Got through it though. So you can do it. Arrange for a tutor if necessary.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned

I ant help you out, but good for you. Penny.D
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM

I am in my last week of "pre algebra" and will be soooo glad when it is over, IF I PASS. I am 64 and don't know why I HAD to take it, but it's been a struggle for me. My course is ALL on line with no books. The lessons are all online and you print everything out. I hope you have a lot better luck than I'm having. My "brain" just won't wrap around some of the concepts. Not trying to scare you, just telling you how BAD I'm doing. YOU WILL DO FINE ! ! !
Take advantage of any tutoring you can get.....