Why does my cat do this?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM

I think cats see 'helping' as a way to improve our lives. It's the price we have to pay for domesticating them, same as cleaning the litter box..... ask her, she'll tell you the truth.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM

We have 4 cats, but only one comes in whenever he wants to. If I'm sewing, he inspects. I always find him on my bed UNDER the covers. He is Siamese so he is very loud, but I wouldn't take anything for him.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My 2 tuxedo cats, Ascot and Pearlie, come running to greet me at the car door each time I drive in. She likes to jump in and check things out but is faster than lightening when I swing my legs out, out she goes. He 'talks' to me each night as I'm filling their dishes on the front porch.

A couple nights ago I was out late to a dinner and the sweet neighbors fed them on the porch. At 10:30pm I drove in and Ascot came running toward me with a different attitude; when I opened the car door he fussed and fussed that I had not been there to feed him on time, walking back and forth verbalizing with obvious annoyance. Oh, he *was* fed, it's just that *I* was not the one on the job. He wouldn't let me pet him, never came quite that close, just really wanted to voice his displeasure at the change of routine! It was so funny I'm still giggling over him!

Pearlie doesn't seem to care where her food comes from as long as it's frequent and plentiful, the piggy. :lol:

These are barn cats that have adopted me. I haven't been around cats in decades and am so very much enjoying their antics now. They are a reason to get up every day!

Jan in VA
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 AM

What strange things do your cats do?

Inky has decided that she must scream at the top of her lungs just the point where I'm about to fall asleep. If I tell her to be quiet, she starts yelling louder. I evicted her from the bedroom last night.

bad part is that I have to evict my othe cat also. :(
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM

I got one of my cats when he was teeny - and whenever I get out of the shower, he gets in and cleans himself. It's like he is copying me/taking his turn. Super cute!

My other cat will pat you when she wants attention or to be played with. She'll stretch up to whatever chair or place you're sitting at and pat your arm like "hello? I'm here... play with me!"
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM

I have 6 cats - all inside - do you think it's easy to get any hand sewing done? Heck no!!
"No outfit is complete without cat hair"
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM

hummm sounds like my cat she will get in the sink and wait for her shower. We ve had her for 12 years, she can be a real pain but we still love all 31/2 lbs of her.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Here are my 2 lover boys, enjoying the sunshine. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-176521.jpe  
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Yep, both of cats used to do the exact same thing your cat does. They would try to play with the thread and try to paw at the needle. Also, when I knit, they are either on my lap trying to bite the yarn or in my yarn bag sleeping. They are crazy!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM

They are just like kids they feel that once you sit down you are ready to pay attention to them. Once I am on the phone or at the machine either my kids, the animals or my husband decides they need me right then and now. I could be doing nothing but until I sit and do what I want they "need" me (honestly makes me feel loved some times)