Why?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Okie- don't be silent , we all learn from each other. Let me see of I can give some reasons why I answer :lol:

Sometimes a person starts out with Hello I am new here and I have a question- well then we say Hello to welcome them to the group , don't want the person to think we are not interested in new members, rude or cliquish.

I have answered sorry I don't know - that way it goes on my "watched" list so hopefully when the question is answered I can find out for myself.

Many members don't understand all the numbers and what not next to topics on your "My topics" page so if there are no replies they might think no one cares or sees the topic when in fact we care / have seen it , just don't have the answer, this is our way of letting them know, we have seen the question , just can't help them .
Old 11-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
YOu are only supposed to reply when you know
Really? I actually joined a forum once where that was the rule and let me tell you: IT SUCKED! It's like adding forum police to the quilt police and all the joy and creativity left me because I was always concerned about saying or doing something wrong.

So to answer it from the other side of the fence: Asking a question and having NO answers because nobody "really" knows is very disappointing as well. Sometimes, an innocent (albeit unrelated) remark can trigger the correct answer.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by okie
I don't know what "status" people are talking about but this is just a question, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, just thought I would start a question kind of like the one that was here a few days or week ago about the purple thang. Not trying to start a negative debate just a friendly one. I personally do not reply to a subject I don't have an answer for. If it's something I too would like to know I just go back and look at it from time to time. This is what I was doing when I found several replies but the question was never answered. If I ask a question and no one has an answer, no problem. This is a very knowledgeable group of people and if I don't get an answer to a quilting question it's probably because I didn't word the question right and no one knows what I'm talking about, this is called my brain in working one way and my fingers another :)

I didn't mean to make peole get so defensive and angry in some cases. At least some of the replies seem angry. I better go back to being silent and just looking. Have a great one.
I hope you don't stay silent, I think we all like to discuss many different topics and we all have curiosity questions once in a while. The folks on this board are awesome. But as on any board, when you communicate with the written (typed) word, you lose the ability to "read" the mood of the message because we can't see the body language or hear the tone of the persons voice. Actually I think this is question has received some interesting answers....just goes to show you how many ways a thing can be perceived.

Have a great day!
I agree with Nursie. I took it most all replys were trying to answer your question so you could "see a different side". Someone disagreeing with your opinion does not mean they're angry with you. Please don't feel you shouldn't "talk" on here.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 AM

I just try to be supportive of people, especially new people. I appreciated it when I first came, and when I ask questions. It has nothing to do with numbers. Just trying to be friendly and supportive.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
I just try to be supportive of people, especially new people. I appreciated it when I first came, and when I ask questions. It has nothing to do with numbers. Just trying to be friendly and supportive.
I didn't take it as angry at me but just angry in general at the question. I won't give examples, but they sounded angry because the question was asked? Like someone said, we can't see someone's body language so I felt the anger from the way they answered. Like someone that overreacts, I guess I overread. Responses on the whole are very informative as to why or why not.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM

I didn't take it as angry at me but just angry in general at the question. I won't give examples, but they sounded angry because the question was asked? Like someone said, we can't see someone's body language so I felt the anger from the way they answered. Like someone that overreacts, I guess I overread. Responses on the whole are very informative as to why or why not.
Well, no need to go into victim mode either ;-) You asked a question and you got all kinds of answers. Up to you if you want to be silent or not.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Well, no need to go into victim mode either ;-) You asked a question and you got all kinds of answers. Up to you if you want to be silent or not.
TRY TO START A GENRAL CONVERSATION AND SOMEONE HAS TO GET NASTY
Old 11-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
TRY TO START A GENRAL CONVERSATION AND SOMEONE HAS TO GET NASTY
I wouldn't give up on this great board because of one person's responses. You'll be missing out on a lot.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Goodness - has seemed to have left the building -

I, too, have sometimes read some of the responses and wondered at them.

Especially the ones where the author has had a major change on page 3 and the responders obviously have not read more than half of page 1. And especially when the post immediately above says something like "my DH died last night" and the person says "I hope he gets better soon"

I usually do a mental "shrug" and think "whatever" - and go on my way.

When one listens to real-life conversations, many of the comments are off-topic and quite "light-weight" as far as importance goes.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Hey, did you guys know that Mr. Ed was actually a zebra...?