Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why is it when I make a gluten free pie this happens lol >

Why is it when I make a gluten free pie this happens lol

Why is it when I make a gluten free pie this happens lol

Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
My husband has celiac disease. He has had it for years but he would not go on the diet until just recently. The diet is eliminating gluten. It is a protein found in wheat,barley and rye. So not white flour.

This weekend we are having a family reunion for my husbands family. I am making pies for it. Since my husband, his father and his niece all have celiac I have to make everything twice. Gluten and non gluten.

Here are the results. Both homemade crust both the same berry recipe. And look!! UGGHHH I give up lol

I was such a good cook and baker before gluten free. Now I feel like a 5 year old in the kitchen. Everything I thought I knew is now different. LOL one day I will get it. The worst part about it all is I agreed to go on the diet for moral support (and its easier to have a dedicated gluten free house) but I so want a bite of the regular pie lol
Looks fine to me. I have celiac disease also & have learned to eat disgusting looking food but it is better than feeling sick all the time.Keep up the good work.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks yummmy. Have you tried a cobbler.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:41 AM

I think your pie looks wonderful.. I have been baking and cooking gluten-free for six years and I must admit I felt like a kid trying to make anything. It is certainly a whole new experience!!! By the way, King Arthur now sells a gluten-free flour and I use that when using my own never-fail pie crust recipe and it turns out pretty good, not as good as with white flour but it's still edible and my husband loves it. Just remember baking is like quilting, it's all made with good hearts and loving hands!!!

Kathi in PA
Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 AM

I am surprised at your comment about what foods contain gluten. My daughter has to avoid gluten and she can't eat anything with wheat in it. Perhaps there are different degrees of this disorder.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:13 AM

My husband has celiac disease and absolutely will not eat anything with tapioca flour in it. He can detect the taste and just will not finish his bite of food. I used to mix my own blend of flour but lately I have been using Bisquick entirely. If I am running short of it I add cornstarch, millet and sorghum to it. Unfortunately, my solution to my husband's refusal to eat a lot of things is just to make the pie fillings and serve them as a pudding, custard or whatever without any crust at all. I really miss my crusts, though. I think your pies looked delicious!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 AM

I'm learning to cook gluten now also but my dd doesn't live at home - she's grown up now.... How I wish they had had gluten free stuff when she was growing up... poor child almost starved to death because she is also very allergic to Soy. We also weren't told anything about gluten except "wheat allergy".... NO... it's so much more than just wheat. We are just now learning about gluten and foods that we thought were "Wheat free" were loaded with gluten...ie Oatmeal!

I've been buying the Red Mills Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour... saves the ratio dilemma that I had with mixing all the other flours.

Funny story... when she was 15 she wanted a tiered cake (like a wedding cake) We had just learned that she was allergic to wheat and so because rice flour was very expensive, we didn't know anything about gluten free - neither did anyone else - i took a pound of rice and ground my own rice flour... The cake was tasty, but very brickish...meaning dense and heavy... we still laugh or groan... our attempts to baking gluten free now is much better.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM

I just found out I am alergic to gluten. But I think both pies look good.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 AM

Gluten and recipes just have gone together for years. Just have to keep trying it is a new world.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:02 AM

I know cooking gluten-free is an adjustment, but your family will love your every effort. We have two celiac, one eosinophilic and two vegetarians. It has certainly changed family dinner preparation, but everyone appreciates the special dishes made just for them.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 AM

Thank you so much for this reference.

Originally Posted by oatw13
Have you ever looked at any of the Jules gluten free cookbooks? (I got them out of the library to try them and then I bought the one we liked best.) She uses her own flour blend but she tells you how to make it. She has a pretty good pie crust recipe. Here is the pie crust:

http://blog.julesglutenfree.com/2010/10/grandma’s-pie-crust/

Here is the flour blend:

http://thecircusmcgurkus.blogspot.co...our-blend.html

It isn't perfect for everything, but it is pretty good.

You may also want to try some butter or shortening in your crust. Or maybe a little oil or plain yogurt. Any of these will help make it more elastic.

Gluten free cooking is a whole new world and the rules are very different. Stick with it, your husband is sure to feel better soon!