Wireless Routers

Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM

we have direct tv and they installed their router for me = no problems with it and I didn't have to do a thing - so you might want to check with your phone company
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM

I have Linksys E 2000 wireless router. I have some computer knowledge and usually figure things out for myself. (Had a boss before I retired that would not pay for computer help. Worked as office manager for a dentist). Anyway, I have an older desktop computer and wanted to hooked up my laptop and 2 printers. My grandsons needed to hook up to Xbox Live and play games with friends online. Couldn't get it right, so I called the 1-800 number and the young woman helped me get them all going. I think I was talking to India because the first man I couldn't understand. Called back to get another person. She was easier to understand and she understood me. Took about 1 1/2 hours, but it is so worth it. The GS bring 2 separate Xbox's and use two separate rooms to hook up to the T.V. sets. Most of the time it keeps them happy. I have them during the week during the summer. That was about 1 to 2 years ago. If they don't help you take it back. I bought mine at Best Buy and they had set me up with what I needed to begin with.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Yes I have one. Works just great-no problem. My grandsone hooked it up in no time and was on sale for about $30.00 It's a Belkin and my granson said it is the best. For me it has been. Can use my laptop anyplace and even in the basement in my sewing room.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:04 PM

I have used both a NetGear and a Linksys and have had no problem with either one of them. You may have to set the IP address on your computer to match it. Call the tech support number for the router and let them know that you are setting it up for the first time and they should be able to help you at no charge. Be sure to have your user name that you use with your internet provider.
I have mine set up and it runs 2 wireless printers and 2 laptops
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM

I have a wireless setup and it works great. I believe mine is a linksys.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM

I have one. Had same problem. All you do is call that number with your router and they will help you set it up. I did and works fine.

Good luck,

Glenna in WV
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM

We have a wireless router with DSL. We connect two laptops, a desktop and a wireless printer regularly with no problems. I don't know how your satellite connection would work. You probably have a modem with this setup to which the router must be connected. It might be wise to contact your ISP for information on how to connect a wireless router to their equipment. Our router was a cheap one from Wal Mart and it works just fine.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 AM

A Best Buy sales asst should be able to help you. I had a COmcast cable tech out to my house this week and he said that large homes like mine should use an N router.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 AM

I have a Belkin and I've had it on cable, wireless broadband, and satellite ISPs with no problems and no changes in set up either.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:19 PM

I think you have to have hi speed internet for it to work. I have mine through cable dsl. it works great it is hooked to my desktop and we have two laptops that work off it my grandson uses it to.also if your laptop dosn't have wifi built in you can get a adapter for it.