women friends

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM

As I understand it, there are two basic types of people = introverts and extroverts. Extroverts garner their energy by being with other people, and introverts get their energy by spending 'alone' time. Neither type is better, neither type is wrong. It's just a natural difference in personality make-up.

I think it would be really neat thing to study the personalities of us quilters. Judging by this thread, it looks like we are mainly introverts. Me, too. Then the question becomes, do we love quilting because we get energy from our 'alone' time? It also might explain the success of this board. I love it because I can interact when I choose to, but I'm not required to take part if I'm not in the mood. I don't have that freedom when in groups of friends face-to-face.

Anyway, looks like I felt like interacting tonight.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM

I'm a loner too...maybe because I was an only child. I have very good girlfriends, but I spend most of my time alone or with DH.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM

I haven't read all the answers yet, but for me, I cherish my girlfriends. They have helped me through the tough, celebrated the good, hugged when I needed. I do not have a great deal of time, but I go to two regular quilt retreats with my dearest friends every year. I have a best girlfriend I met through my DH, the wife of his best friend. I am godmother to her child, my child is also hers, a piece of the "mother pie" or my village. And my best friend forever is my DH. About 95% of our free time is spent together.

Laurie
Old 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by renee765
As I understand it, there are two basic types of people = introverts and extroverts. Extroverts garner their energy by being with other people, and introverts get their energy by spending 'alone' time. Neither type is better, neither type is wrong. It's just a natural difference in personality make-up.

I think it would be really neat thing to study the personalities of us quilters. Judging by this thread, it looks like we are mainly introverts. Me, too. Then the question becomes, do we love quilting because we get energy from our 'alone' time? It also might explain the success of this board. I love it because I can interact when I choose to, but I'm not required to take part if I'm not in the mood. I don't have that freedom when in groups of friends face-to-face.

Anyway, looks like I felt like interacting tonight.
I love being with friends and family but when I'm doing something like quilting or cleaning or anything, I focus. My daughter is a talker and when I'm focused on something the last thing I want to do is talk. She gets miffed with me thinking I'm being dismissive of her. I was same way when I worked, I hated to be interrupted. Maybe it's just because I can't do two things at once!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Same with me.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Life without my friends would be too empty.. Yesterday I spent the day with my dear friend, Florence. We went to a couple of quilt shops and discussed patterns and fabrics, and we trade patterns with each other all the time. She is a treasure to me, but life is fragile and I know that she won't always be here.... I have club friends, chat friends, and of course my DH.. At my age, I have "lost" many dear friends, so I continue to make new ones.. and how many widows do we all know? I love being at home, doing my quilting, blogging, etc. but I need that personal female contact at least every few days. My friends are my treasures...
Old 07-01-2011, 02:08 PM

I don't think you are weird. I don't like chit chat either, hate to talk on the phone and I don't like shopping. I better correct that..Shopping for fabric is wonderful. My best friend is a man, we can talk about anything.
I think most women are to catty..not trying to insult anyone. I think what did me in was a place I worked at and I was moving up the corporate ladder to fast for the 6 women in the office. They were all underachievers.
Men are easier to get along with.
I stand corrected...My husband is a best friend also.
Peace and Blessings,