Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: women friends

OK I really never though about this till my sister make a smart remark to one of her freinds. I'm 50 I've never had a girlfriend as in someone I ran around with shopped with are talked ,visited with. But I dont like to chit chat cannt stand to talk on the phone for no reason. Dont get me wrong I do have friends but they are all men. I'm I really that wierd

I'm the same way- I have friends, but when I need to shop, off I go. You're not weird (unless i am too)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    I'm the same way- I have friends, but when I need to shop, off I go. You're not weird (unless i am too)
    same here

I'm the same here. I tend to get along better with men. I just figured it's from growing up as a 'tomboy'

Blog Entries
    Me too. I've always been more or less of a loner, growing up with Grandma in the hills. Cousins now and then to play with, but most time spent with books or Grandma on the farm, helping her.

DH was my friend, HE was the one who loved shopping, I don't.

I don't think you're weird. The only shopping I do is, grocery, auto parts and fabric, not necessarily in that order. I don't have a lot of close friends, always been more or less a loner. If your lifestyle suits you, then don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says about it.

If you are weird then you have lots of company!!!! I am very much a people loner too (counting all our critters would be super social). I pretty much dislike shopping and the only that I do is grocery, fabric of course, feed store and vets for vaccine and occasional cattle auction on fridays and of course Red Bluff Bull and Gelding Sale once a year. I am happiest reading, sewing, riding or working cattle. My young cousin over the hill worries that I am not social enough. I have always been a loner.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbm
    Same here....to me that is not weird. I see alot of women "shopping" by themselves. I have tried the other way and it seems U R always looking for what aisle they are in. I am not much for others having to wait on me...so call me weird...I just say "yep" "Smile" walk away :)

lo, my huby calls me a hermetess cause I do'not have a" tell anything to friend." I'am just comfortable in my own skin , as they say. Don't like to shop with anyone, talk on the phone for long . If I'am weired then so be it. I'am happy. I do have good friends that I would do anything for and they would do anything for me but guess i"ve never felt the need for anything more.

I guess I'm a weirdo, I have friends and co-workers, but it seems we all lead busy lives and different schedules. I go shopping when I'm ready I don't like waiting, so yes another weirdo here.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking about this while I made the bed this morning. My Mom is my best woman friend and she always was. Well, not when I was 14, 15, and 16. lol She lives in Michigan and we talk about 3 or 4 hours a week on the phone about anything and everything with lots of "I Love Yous thrown in." My Best Best friend is my DH. We have always enjoyed doing things together just the two of us. We did love spending time with our sons when they were growing up. We live in Florida now and met a nice couple we spent time with until they moved back to Arkansas. We still talk and visit when they come here or we see them on our way to Michigan in the summer. As for spending time with just women friends, I never have much. I grew up with five brothers and it is easier to get along with men. There is no competition or snide remarks to deal with when women are out of sorts. I always tell my DH that I will be a hermit if I am ever left alone later in life. I'm happy and so is he. He is much more social than I am and makes friends easily. He just no longer wants to go places with them.

Until Toomanycats mentioned it, I also go to the feed store. LOL

Same here.. I have more men friends than women..

I also have never had a girl friend to pal around with and quite frankly have never felt the lack of one. Husband is my best friend and we do most everything together. I do not like to shop, with me I know what I want and go get it, well I must confess to wandering around in the home improvement store and fabric store when inspiration strikes.

Me too! idle chit chat on the phone just makes me want to bolt! You are not weird...there are a lot of us out there. And most of my friends are men, because women (no offense) just can't seem to get along with anyone! lol. I guess I have to include myself, since I cannot get alone with other women ... hey...how many of us were raised with all brothers? I was...maybe that is why we can get along better with the mascline gender...the no-nonsense gender....? How many?

Michelle G. in El Paso

Blog Entries
    I have one really best friend. but she lives in Houston and i'm in Colorado. We went shopping at the Galleria every weekend when i still lived there. Antique shops too. for hours. Now up here, i quilt. and she's just started quilting down there. maybe we will get together again one day. I surely hope so!
    I dont' chat on the phone for hours either. never did. But i do email!!

I am happy to be with myself. Friends are nice, but, in moderation.

I was raised with 4 brothers so I was a tomboy growing up and have more male friends than woman friends. I hate to shop, unless for fabric!! Love email and facebook so I don't have to be on the phone!!!!

Roda, thank you for starting this thread. I am 55 and don't have any close friends (sometimes wish I did) I have friends at work, but not friend friends. I get bored with gossip, drama queens and clicky people.
    Often wondered if I was an odd duck, I don't think I live a lonely life because I don't have friends, I enjoy my solitude, I like quiet time. My DH and dogs are my best friends.
    At my age finding a friend to buddy with isn't going to happen,(it's too late) so I will settle for the life I have, I love my life. Esp when I get to quilt.

Blog Entries
    my best friends are my DH and my DD!!

Blog Entries
    What a relief to hear there are others like me. My husband just made a similar remark to me about 2 weeks ago. It hurt like everything.

From the responses here....Looks like there are a lot of us who are comfortable in our own skin. I have friends.... but no "real close" friends where I have to have someone to "do things with".

I chaulk it up to experiencing from a very young age that I'm in charge of my life/destiny. I like people.... but do not have to have them by my side in order for me to be happy.

Thanks for showing me.... I'm not by myself.

;-)

Blog Entries
    I'm in this catagory too. I do chat on the phone with my aunt a few times a month for a few hours at a time, with a friend in Montana about once a month for a short time. Other than that I really don't talk with people much. I do shop on occasion by myself or with DH.
    Talk with my Gracie ( my dog ) when I feel I need an outlet, she is a very good listener & never has anything bad to say, just lots of kisses! :-)

Thanks for starting this thread. I had been wondering about myself and wondering if I was being too distance with life.

I don't care about sitting on the phone and yakking! Forget it!
    I have a mixture of male/female friends. Variety

I have friends in different groups which I mingle with all. Like church friends/classmates/coffee.tea buddies/neighbors.

if your happy then don't let it bother you!

No close friends here either, but its okay, I am content with myself. I enjoy being alone most of the time. I will never catch up or complete things I want to do in sewing room or in yardwork, but I will keep trying. Life is good!

I've never been one for close girl friends, I don't know anyone who sews or does miniatures so I really don't have any interest in whatever they'd want to talk about.
    I can't imagine what people think to say when they have a cell phone to their ear almost all their waking hours. I don't think I'd want to be the one listening to it cause I have a short attention span.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast