Work meetings

Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM

WAAAAAY to go!!! I knew that your knowledge and experience would stand up to whatever got thrown at you! AND you have been given new projects. Seems to me the boss sees that you are a capable person, especially getting your input on the setting up of a call center and E911.

Sounds like you aced it! Congrats!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Thanks all. :) He did ask me if I had any advice to give HIM on management. I said my view on management was to recognize what your people are naturally like, what they are strong in, and use it. Usually, a person's strong point would be something they enjoy doing, and would do it well. He, and the company, would benefit.

I was very happy to hear that he thought that I was the one who had learned the most about the new systems in all areas. I thanked him and told him there was still a lot I needed to learn but that I enjoyed my work and learning new things. Hopefully sending him info about training that he asked for will result in getting the classes I want to take.

I have been worried, as everyone else, about the layoffs that have been happening. In a closely related department there were two women (the only women in that department) that were let go. It was shocking as they both had been here for 20+ years.

There's no guarantee of keeping my job and I need to stay valuable and keep my skills up to date.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Glad to hear that your meeting went well. Glad you covered your material well.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I work for Hubby and with Son and Daughter we don't have anything like that, I don't think I could handle a job like that. No chance of me loosing my job either.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Glad it went well today Pam. You are a smart lady, I have faith he was blown away by you!!!

How's your QQ doing?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM

I wish there was no way I could lose my job... unless I wanted to. :-D If I was REALLY smart, I wouldn't need to work at all!

Reminds me of a routine of Bobcat Goldthwait. "I lost my job. No, I didn't really lose my job. I know where my job is. It's just, when I go there, there's this new guy doing it." Later in the routine he says, "I lost my girlfriend. No, I didn't really lose my girlfriend. I know where she is....." :lol:

The QQ is going OK. I got the other table support on and got the pieces of the table on and partially bolted down. I unpacked the carriage and set it on the bars. It's starting to look like a real one. I also found that I need six 10' poles, not five. The 6th one is for the batting. I can still put it all together without it, of course, and make another trip this weekend to the home store.

There's still a lot of work to do on it and I need 40' of velcro to attach the leaders to the rails and to attach the leaders to the quilt backs. I saw that on Sharon Schamber's Network. I also saw how she makes side leaders with PVC pipe and canvas for the clamps to attach to instead of directly to the quilt so that the tension is even and not pulled on just where the clamps are.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Thanks all. :) He did ask me if I had any advice to give HIM on management. I said my view on management was to recognize what your people are naturally like, what they are strong in, and use it. Usually, a person's strong point would be something they enjoy doing, and would do it well. He, and the company, would benefit.

I was very happy to hear that he thought that I was the one who had learned the most about the new systems in all areas. I thanked him and told him there was still a lot I needed to learn but that I enjoyed my work and learning new things. Hopefully sending him info about training that he asked for will result in getting the classes I want to take.

I have been worried, as everyone else, about the layoffs that have been happening. In a closely related department there were two women (the only women in that department) that were let go. It was shocking as they both had been here for 20+ years.

There's no guarantee of keeping my job and I need to stay valuable and keep my skills up to date.

So very glad to hear it went well!! I'm also very quiet, prefering to get my job done without necessarily drawing attention to myself. Unfortunately, the old adage "the squeaky wheel gets the ?? oil ??" is very true. My immediate management might know what I'm doing and like my work but that message isn't always communicated to those above.

In my company, we're "laddered" once a year; i.e., everyone's photo is placed on a table and then ranked by their work, etc. Those higher on the ladder get the bigger raises and/or promotions. The key is VISIBILITY. If upper management knows you, you slide up the ladder more easily.

I've been here for 27 years but that doesn't guarantee anything, especially now-a-days. Your idea of needing "to stay valuable and keep my skills up to date" is oh so true. Well done!
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM

I have never heard of such a thing as "laddering". That just sounds really strange to me.

I totally understand about being visiable or not. I do often feel that I am not that visible to management. Most everyone at the company knows me as "The Phone Lady" but that doesn't mean that anyone knows what I do to ensure that their phones work. People are used to network or servers being down sometimes but just let the telephones be down for a few minutes and the entire company is in an uproar! It's something that sits on the desk and is taken for granted until it doesn't work.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
.... People are used to network or servers being down sometimes but just let the telephones be down for a few minutes and the entire company is in an uproar! It's something that sits on the desk and is taken for granted until it doesn't work.
I have NO idea what you mean! :-)

Thankfully, I've never been in a "service" type of job, if that's the correct word. I'm usually a very calm, gentle, person but am afraid if I had your job (i.e., trying to work with the phone public), I'd be locked up by now.

As for laddering, it's just my company's strange way of ranking people. There have been many complaints over the years but, as with most large companies, it takes a bazooka to change some things.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I'll be thinking of you. I hate that kind of thing too.