Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you buy this? Please reply. >

Would you buy this? Please reply.

Would you buy this? Please reply.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:14 AM

No I wouldn't because I just don't care for stuffed animals unless they are made in their natural colors. Your sewing looks great though so I'm sure you'd find buyers. Good luck to you!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:53 AM

My son used to go to anime festivals. The attendees bought all sorts of plush items. Fleece hats with ears stuffed critters etc. you might want to see if there is such an event near you that you could set up at. A variety of hats might be a little quicker and more cost effective.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 AM

Obviously he has quite personality I love your color combination and the tail puts him as remarkable! You have gotten some good information and advice here. I wish you luck in your endeavors and if nothing else try marketing your pattern. Give your consumers a choice ready made or grandma made and definitely the suggestion of a story is great.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM

I love the color of eyes you used, however, there are certain warnings that have to be on a label and tag, stating that is not for children or children of a certain age. If you change to sewing eyes on it, it would be better. You may want to google selling stuffed animals for child use....and see if there is any information you need to be aware of. We live in a litigious society these days, which is unfortunate. Love your Fox and I like that the mouth is off center, gives him character. I would ask $24 - $30.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM

Very cute, but lose the button eyes - you can't afford to take a chance with kids who would pull them off,so appliqué or embroidery would be a better way to go. I would probably pay $25, but I also know how much a time a stuff animal teems and that's not going to be profitable in the long run. I would imagine many of us on this board are looking at it saying " I could make that, not pay for it", so perhaps we aren't a good focus group. I agree with the person who suggested using the longarm might be profitable than stuffed animals. And don't call it a " craft room", as in " I'm running a business from my craft room." Call it a " design studio". Even doing nothing else different, the perception of things that come from a design studio is higher than things that come from a craft room, and you can charge accordingly!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I used to and still do on occasion make Bunny Rabbit families (they are 3 feet tall with facial features, arms & legs that move, and impeccably dressed in their vintage style clothing. the younger children were impeccably dressed-as I made them according to how many were in the family. IF there was a new baby I made a baby rabbit dressed acordingly with a quilt.) .. I charged what I thought was a fair price for time and workmanship. My Aunt in law decided it was too much and the workmanship was low grade. WHAT ?? Needless to say I didn't get the monies I was asking for .. So I am not the one to ask about, as I have never sold a thing since .. LOL
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM

No. My daughter received several such crafty gifts as a child, never liked them and they were always donated. You did a great job making it, though.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

It is adorable...It is true people never want to pay what it is worth but I think if you marketed at craft shows you might do OK..Good Luck..
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM

I think you take your material costs. multiply by three and add what you want in labor
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM

I sell "my little ponies" at anime conventions for $65. It is what my time is worth, because I hand-embroider the eyes and cutie marks. DO remember the cost of your time. I give myself $10/hour. Just went to a lecture on craft selling which was very helpful. Some of the biggies are to make specialty items for specific venues, package like a gift with a printed story for animal figures, have an obvious logo and contact information on a card with the item for future orders.