Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ... >

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM

Yes, Go For it! Like the others said, A Gift From Your Heart! I don't know her, but think she would really appreciate the thought and Love that you have for her and give her!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by diane647
It really doesn't mater if I would make one or not. The real question is DO YOU WANT TO DO IT? Sometimes we already know the answer to our question. If it would make her feel loved and included it would be wonderful. However you must remember a gift is a gift, the receipent can do with it what they will.
So very well said.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 AM

I would make the quilt, a simple one. I would also be it with embrodry, permanent ink, paint, whatever, I would put her name .I would put het name and say I love, I care about you. She will feel like its only hers and see your loving messages all the time. If she is in a halfway house no one else can take it cause her name is all over it, SHE CAN'T GIVE AWAY CAUSE HER NAME IS ALL OVER IT. Others in the house will be telling her how lucky she is to have some who cared. Just a thought
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
A gift from your heart is still a gift, once we give the gift we no longer get to decide what is done with the gift. Give her one if it will satisfy your needs, and be happy that you have done so. Love her as you can, if she doesn't come round with the same care for the gift, at least you know you have done a great thing on your part. The best thing about a gift, is the giving.

(((HUGS))))
I totally agree
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Follow your heart, but personally I wouldn't spend a lot of time or money on a quilt that may very well disappaear.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 AM

When I started quilting I asked my mother if she would like me to make her a quilt and she said, "I don't need any more blankets." So I made one for my grandmother instead. I know she must have seen it and heard the praise of it from my grandmother. So I got around to making her a quilt and sent it to her without asking if she wanted it. It wasn't her birthday or any occassion. I got the most heart felt thank you from her.

I knew she really didn't/doesn't know about the work involved but I think she learned about the love involved by how my grandmother appreciated her quilt.

I give quilts to whoever I want to for whatever reason, whenever. Not because they need or don't need, want or don't want a blanket but to show them my love. What they do with that love is their business, it doesn't change mine.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:39 PM

This is a very interesting subject. I see both points of view. I believe I would make a simple quilt and would add a label with your niece's name, your name and the message that you love her. I believe everyone needs proof of their lovability. But don't do it if this doesn't come from your heart. You can call it your prayer quilt.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:51 PM

That's a hard call & only your heart can guide you on this one. But do put a label on it with her name & from you because in group homes as in nursing homes, articles get lost, stolen, misplaced. At least if her name is in it, she can rightfully claim it
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM

I like the way you think.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by inemmausinn
When I started quilting I asked my mother if she would like me to make her a quilt and she said, "I don't need any more blankets." So I made one for my grandmother instead. I know she must have seen it and heard the praise of it from my grandmother. So I got around to making her a quilt and sent it to her without asking if she wanted it. It wasn't her birthday or any occassion. I got the most heart felt thank you from her.

I knew she really didn't/doesn't know about the work involved but I think she learned about the love involved by how my grandmother appreciated her quilt.

I give quilts to whoever I want to for whatever reason, whenever. Not because they need or don't need, want or don't want a blanket but to show them my love. What they do with that love is their business, it doesn't change mine.
I like the way you think.