Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ... >

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

I would absolutely make this girl a quilt! She is the very tye of person that needs one in her life right now.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow, a gift from the heart, .. even if it is to decorate her bed. what you can do is not to wrap in but for her room to hang.
lovely thought for a sad person.
good luck. best wishes to you for your decision and to her.
Ell
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM

Listen to your heart and do what it tells you. It's never wrong to do something kind and you never know how much it might really mean to her (maybe more in her current situation than normal), but don't feel obligated if you the time and work invested would be difficult for you. My 89 year old mentor and quilter friend says when you give a quilt away you have to let it go and not worry about what will happen to it to experience the real joy in the giving. If a quilt seems to big of an undertaking to you, maybe a small wall quilt for her room or a candle mat and mug rug matching set.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM

ginnie
I would make her a quilt. You never know it could help her turn her life around to where she appricate things more. She has contacted you for a reason. She is reaching out for her family.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM

I think you should make her something - you feel like you should, and she may need the concrete reminder, once in awhile, that someone cares for her.

But maybe you can do a tfringed/tied fleece blanket? They're much faster, and with all the prints available, I'm sure you can find something to match her likes/personality.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM

I would not make her a quilt but I would make her a nice bright fleece throw. Still like a nice warm hug.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:04 PM

Yes, I would make her one. It's true that she may not appreciate it but then it could also be perceived as a gift of love and/or acceptance which she needs in order to turn her life around.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Yes, I definitely would but I have a tremendous burden for children in need. If you don't want to bother buy her a fleece blanket from Walmart and send it with a pretty card and kind note. One of my DD's is a big tall girl and she loves all the beautiful big quilts I made her but she also loves a tiny blue fleece blanket some random person gave her. Fleece has agreat tactile appeal and is very soft.

It seems though your heart is telling you that you want to give her the gift of a quilt and maybe that is how you are expressing your love and care for her too.
I agree.....I sometimes make a fleece blanket for gifts. It's still made by you! I put 2 contrasting pieces together and cut and tie the edges. I sometimes embroider their first name on the back. I think that would be a good idea especially that it could disappear in a group home.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 AM

I have a wonderful husband who taught me that a gift is a gift...I may have no expectations after a gift is given for appreciation nor for use as I would have it used, otherwise it is not a gift. If I cannot give a gift without "strings" attached, I do not give it. It has lessened the hold of material possessions in my life and I now do
quilts because I love making them.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 AM

I'd make her one. Maybe not a complicated quilt - but something nice warm and fuzzy to curl up with, to give her a hug when I wasn't able to give it myself!

You never know what life may hold - and I'd never want to look back and think "I should have..." It may not mean anything to your neice, or it could help brighten her day.