Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM

Do I ever! Before clothes were wrinkle proof we had to iron everything. I had 3 little girls in the late 50's. Puff sleeves were so much fun! NOT My ex wore a white long sleeve shirt for work. I use to sprinkle, roll and then put in the basket covered up to iron the next day. Once in a while I would get busy with something else and not get the ironing done and the clothes would mildew and had to be wash again. Those were not the good old days.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM

There have been times when I have wished I had one of those when I am doing a craft project. A spray bottle works well, but just sprinkling water on something is much easier with one of those do dads. That is the technical name for them, right?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM

I still have my Mom's too. J J
Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM

I can add a little more infor to this post.
I remember my Grandmother AND my mother washing clothes in a Maytag wringer washer. Then after washing, they'd rinse in water that had "bluing" in it to make the clothes extra white. After that, the clothing, like shirts, they wanted to be ironed stiff, they'd dip into a mixture of liquid starch and water. They'd be wrung out and put on the line to dry. After completely drying, they'd sprinkle the clothes down with a bottle and one of these sprinkler cork tops, roll them up and put them in a plastic bag with a zipper top. They'd stay in the refrigerator overnight and be ironed the next day. Those dress shirts of my Grandpa's would be so stiff, they could stand on their own.
What wonderful memories this inspired. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 AM

I can add a little more infor to this post.
I remember my Grandmother AND my mother washing clothes in a Maytag wringer washer. Then after washing, they'd rinse in water that had "bluing" in it to make the clothes extra white. After that, the clothing, like shirts, they wanted to be ironed stiff, they'd dip into a mixture of liquid starch and water. They'd be wrung out and put on the line to dry. After completely drying, they'd sprinkle the clothes down with a bottle and one of these sprinkler cork tops, roll them up and put them in a plastic bag with a zipper top. They'd stay in the refrigerator overnight and be ironed the next day. Those dress shirts of my Grandpa's would be so stiff, they could stand on their own.
What wonderful memories this inspired. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Does anyone remember the wire rectangular frames ladies would put inside pants(jeans mostly) before hanging out on the clothesline? After drying, you'd remove the wire frames and fold the jeans up. The denim was much heavier back then and would be so stiff after drying out on the line.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Yup, my mom put my brother's jeans on those frames. When she brought them in they could stand up all by themselves.

When I was first married my husband, worked for Delta Air Lines, had to wear starched shirts with epalets. I would wash them, then put them in a bowl with starch and then iron each one for about a half hour because of the buttons on the pockets, epalets, collars, etc. Oh how I hated those shirts, but boy did he look handsome in them.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Remember the rolled up clothes in the ice box or fridge
Old 12-17-2010, 11:11 AM

OMG........what memories.......

an old soda bottle filled with water, and the cork-topper placed in the neck of the bottle, shake.......and iron away at those starched blouses..etccccc.......
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM

This will really date me...yes as a youngster I remember my mom using this on a glass catsup bottle.

We didn't have a refrigerator or icebox, before WWII. My job was to take the rolled clothes in the bushel basket to the cellar until the next day, which was Tues, as that was ironing day. Monday was always wash day. She used a washing machine outside in the summer on the back porch and moved inside in the winter. Lots of hard work, but still was best of times.