Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by lucyb
I have used them many times. It was the only fun thing about ironing. Ug, do I remember the starched shirts. Boy has fabric changed and am I glad.
In the early 60's, my younger brother wore wheat colored denim jeans. Being the older sister and Mom working, guess who got to iron those suckers every morning?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM

At our house, Monday was wash day and Tuesday was laundry day. When I was a bit older and Mom had gone to work, one of my Saturday jobs was sorting out the newspapers and magazines. Took a heck of a long time--------because I kept finding new stuff to read.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Midwestmary
Feels kind of strange to remember something so well - my grandma did washing/ironing for a living. There was always rolled up clothes in a plastic bag sitting in her fridge waiting for ironing! My grandchildren only know what an iron is because I use it for piecing :)
I'd not have an iron if I didn't sew. tee hee
Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I've been looking for one of those!!!!!

Does anyone know where to buy one or if a company has come out with something similar?
There's still a 5 & dime in our town. Mr. Miller has all sorts of old stuff-------that's the go to place for stuff you used to use and can't find anymore. I'll check in there some time next week.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by marmalade
Boy did they ever bring back memories of my mom on Tuesday, which was the day she ironed (Monday being washday, of course)...
I just posted about Monday washing and Tuesday ironing, too. (reading from newest to oldest)
Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Yep !! we called them"pants stretchers'. had small ones for DB's pants and bigger ones for Dad's. They are still in my mom's basement. we had a wringer washer until the late 60's. Clothes were hung outside unless the weather was bad,then they hung in the kitchen!!( think large farmhouse kitchen) we also had one of those folding wooden racks for smaller items. we had a fireplace and a coal furnace for heat.[/quote]

I have two of the sprinkler tops, and a pr of pant stretchers hanging in my laundry room. Maybe this time, my granddaughter will show me how to put my pics on the computer from my camera, and then how to post on here. She will be here several days for holidays, She is the mother of that beautifual avatar of mine.[/quote]

We never had the pants stretchers when I was a kid. I'd love to have some now for my hubby's jeans.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by kaygee
Yes, I remember these. Speaking of ironing, my DIL's and some of my friends don't iron. How do they get by with this. I've tried not to iron but just can't go there.
I'm as happy as a lark not ironing our laundry! Did plenty when I was a kid.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
I have 2 pairs of pant stretchers that I still use! And I remember my mother washing clothes on a "rub-board". I also remember when we moved to a larger (small) town and going to the steam laundry and using a washer, a tub with bleach in it, and I think, 2 other tubs that had clear water for rinsing. Some of the 'good old days' were good and some weren't! What memories this subject is stirring up for all of us "older adults".
I can shut my eyes and see how our wringer washer and 2 tubs were set up in the middle of the kitchen on laundry day. We didn't have running water, so no water heater. Boiled water on the stove for the water in the washer.
Whites first
Prints second
Dark clothes last
MORE OR LESS------at least that's what I remember

The blueing was in the last rinse for the whites. Pretty well used up by the time we got past prints
Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Patricia Ann
I agree with you i am 72 and I remember all that stuff we lived where we had no power and we used iron 's heated on the wood stove and I wish we could go back to the 50ths Also going to the grain store and picking out grain bags to make our clothes 1.grain made a pillow case 1. a blouse 2 for a skirt 4 for a double sheet plain ones for dish towels the prints where beautiful you can find the kind of print today
Mom just used whatever sacks we got filled with ground corn.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by bdship
I remember the curtain stretchers Pal, my DMIL used hers to put her starched lace curtains on to dry. That thing was old, even in 1965 !
Most of our windows had lace curtains that had to be stretched on the curtain frames. Don't know about the rest of you, but that was a SPRING CLEANING job. It was kinda fun since it was just once a year-------and when the weather was pretty. Well, it was fun for the first 5 or 6 curtains. We had 4 big rooms that had 4 BIG windows each and lace curtains on all. Don't remember the dining room, kitchen and another bedroom haveing lace curtains.