Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you old enough to know what these are? >

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Are you old enough to know what these are?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by pal
I used that when first married.

Anyone remember the wooden curtain stretcher with all of the little nails all around. What the heck were those curtains made out of - netting? I think they were usually priscilla curtains, and they couldn't be ironed. Hope I'm not the only one who remembers them!!!!!!!
Our curtains were cotton lace--------more woven than knitted.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by jojosnana
Oh boy do I remember those. We had a family of 7 and my mother, bless her soul, used to iron everything. We even had a mangle to iron the sheets. She used to say if you slept on wrinkles they would show on your face. Silly but we believed her.
Thanks for sharing.
How did you escape ironing when you were a kid? I'm assuming you didn't iron since you said your mom ironed everything.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by crankygran
Originally Posted by amma
Yep, mom, gramas, aunts, neighbors, everyone used these back when you ironed everything LOL :D:D:D
You young Whippersnappers................I used the sprinkler tops on bottles "MY own self" and when they couldn't be found a couple of years ago when I wanted one, I made my own oith a water bottle , plastic cap and hot Ice pick. Another anachronism that some might remember.
Later a friend showed me an ad from a catalog where they had them for sale for $8.00 for two!
I'm surprised so many are telling about Mom or Auntie or Grandma using them. I 'm like you--------I used them MY OWN SELF!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
I can add a little more infor to this post.
I remember my Grandmother AND my mother washing clothes in a Maytag wringer washer. Then after washing, they'd rinse in water that had "bluing" in it to make the clothes extra white. After that, the clothing, like shirts, they wanted to be ironed stiff, they'd dip into a mixture of liquid starch and water. They'd be wrung out and put on the line to dry. After completely drying, they'd sprinkle the clothes down with a bottle and one of these sprinkler cork tops, roll them up and put them in a plastic bag with a zipper top. They'd stay in the refrigerator overnight and be ironed the next day. Those dress shirts of my Grandpa's would be so stiff, they could stand on their own.
What wonderful memories this inspired. Thanks for sharing!
LOL, on the wonderful memories. Sounds like you didn't get to partake in the fun!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
Oh! And if you left them in the refrigerator too long, they molded and ruined your clothes! Learned that one the hard way. LOL
That's why we put ours in the freezer----------they could stay a loooooooooooooong time. My sis and I neither liked to iron, so we'd try to get by without doing much. (mom worked outside the home)
Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
Are you kidding. I still have my sprinkler bottle and it really comes in handy now and then. I also remember having to iron everything - no poleyster, no blends - everything was cotton, even my husbands work pants and shirts. I remember putting the pants on stretchers which was a big help and made the pants look great. I really don't miss that experience at all. I also remember no TV, microwave, dishwasher, 1-car households, no computers, no cell phones, when most mothers did not work outside the home, etc. etc. Guess I'm really giving my age away. Still, there's a lot to be said for those days when life was not on such a fast track and everyday life was not so hectic and dysfunctional.
I remember our first TV. My grandmother died right after Christmas in 1959. My mom got her TV. All the other siblings in her family had TVs already. One of the first TV shows I remember watching was Coronado Nine-------with Rod TAylor.

I'm going to skip the outhouse stories! lol
We got our first tv in 1959 and the first show was The Great Gildersleeve! Any one remember that one?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Marilyn Philips
Are you kidding. I still have my sprinkler bottle and it really comes in handy now and then. I also remember having to iron everything - no poleyster, no blends - everything was cotton, even my husbands work pants and shirts. I remember putting the pants on stretchers which was a big help and made the pants look great. I really don't miss that experience at all. I also remember no TV, microwave, dishwasher, 1-car households, no computers, no cell phones, when most mothers did not work outside the home, etc. etc. Guess I'm really giving my age away. Still, there's a lot to be said for those days when life was not on such a fast track and everyday life was not so hectic and dysfunctional.
I remember our first TV. My grandmother died right after Christmas in 1959. My mom got her TV. All the other siblings in her family had TVs already. One of the first TV shows I remember watching was Coronado Nine-------with Rod TAylor.

I'm going to skip the outhouse stories! lol
We got our first tv in 1959 and the first show was The Great Gildersleeve! Any one remember that one?
Sure do!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Yes! Wow haven't seen those in a looooonnnng time lol. Those were used on bottles (soda bottles?)- precurser to the spray bottles of today. I remember my Grandma's & Mom using them to sprinkle water on linens & clothing when they were ironing.
Me, too! Really dates us, doesn't it??!!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 PM

I remember using those when I would iron for my mom. Put them on a pop bottle with water in them and sprinkle the cloths and iron them..... :thumbup:
Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM

We did not have lots of things to keep in the frig. I lived in town and we always had an electric frig though quite small. My relatives who lived in small towns had ice boxes and my one uncle was an ice man. He came around most days and delivered a big piece of ice that went into the ice box. As a kid, I thought they were great because there was an ice pic and we could chip off ice. Ina regular frig there were two very small trays and I didn't dare touch them. Most people had kitchen gardens and grew some veggies. Also, we did not have everything all the time. I remember an apple and orange at Christmas and only at Christmas. I don't remember every having a banana. When tv dinners (we only got chicken pot pies) came out in the 50's, we really thought they were wonderful. At least two days a week we had beans and cornbread to eat - that's all. Sunday night we had crumbled cornbread in a glass with milk or buttermilk. Eventho we lived in a fairly large town, we had chickens and goats in our yard. I hated goat milk but it is what we had. Had to feed the chickens and was always careful after I found a snake in the coffee can that we dipped the chicken feed with. Coffee cans were about half the height they are now and bigger around too. Of course, we made lye soup in the yard. I really am not 100 = just 71. You are right, the 50's were a great time to grow up. TV came after I graduated from high school so was a reader.