Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Ireland >

Hello from Ireland

Hello from Ireland

Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Welcome from CA!! My DD is 11...so I'm just entering into the "fun" years. G-d help me.

You must meet Lacelady, our other local resident from Ireland. She's English, otherwise I'd say she's Irish too! Ha ha. I'll tell her to say hello to you!
Hi, Lizzie, Esq., just told me that you had joined, I thought it would only be a matter of time before someone else from Ireland found this friendly board. As she said, I am a blow in from the UK, but settled in Co. Sligo in 2000, so it feels like home now. Whereabouts are you? If you would rather not say here in public, you can send me a PM (private message).
Old 02-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Welcome from West Virginia. We look a little like Ireland. Hills and valleys. Very green 3 seasons of the year. I just joined this site and I love to look everyday and see whats going on. I hope you enjoy it too.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Hi Lizzie!

How I would love to see your country! I live 60 miles west of Las Vegas, desert, desert and more desert! I have been a seamstress for many, many years and took up quilting about 2 years ago and I am completely hooked. Can't look at any fabric without visualizing a quilt! Hope to hear more from you.

Barb Arlin
Pahrump, NV
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM

Hello from the Quilting Board. I will be taking a tour of Ireland in April and several of us are looking for quilt shops to visit while we are there. We will be in Dublin, Kilkenny, Killarney and Limerick. Do you have any suggestions for us?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ruby Red
Hello from the Quilting Board. I will be taking a tour of Ireland in April and several of us are looking for quilt shops to visit while we are there. We will be in Dublin, Kilkenny, Killarney and Limerick. Do you have any suggestions for us?
Hi, Ruby, You could try Fabric Matters, Rathfarnam, County Dublin www.fabricmatters.ie +353 1 4946320 (If you want to ring after you arrive, then it would be: 01 4946320)
Thread of Green Fabrics, Purcellsinch Business Park, Dublin Road, Co. Kilkenny +353 56 7762514
LImerick Quilt Centre, Winander House, Park Road, Co. Limerick
+353 61 419790
This last one is (I think) the largest in Ireland, with about 4000 bolts, but it is attached to the owner's house, and I have a feeling that you might have to phone first, as she teaches classes too.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Wow,

So many welcomes!!!

I don't mind saying where I'm located, I live just outside Dublin, Dunboyne in County Meath. I'm UK born as well, I think it's a part of the Irish constitution, you marry an Irishman, you have to settle in Ireland eventually! I'm not really English though either, my parents were Hungarian Refugees so I suppose I'm keeping up with the family tradition...

When I hear of sun and dry weather I go really whistful, this is NOT the place to live if you have arthritis or back problems! Ah well, my eldest daughter (28, married and trying for a family!) lives in Southern Spain so I get the occasional break from the damp. We have two types of weather here, wet and warm, wet and cold. Don't get me wrong, this is a great country to bring up children, my 3 younger kids have been lucky to stay 'kids' much longer than my eldest who was brought up mainly in London. Not to mention how much I admire the Irish education system.

Anyway, my photo is of our deceased Cockerel, Romeo. He fell foul (ahem) of a fox, or else it was a bloomin' big cat, but my husbands' foray into poutry keeping proved to be (thankfully) unsuccesful. We were given (and lost) two turkeys, three hens and one Cockerel. This makes it sound like we live in the country, but we don't. We actually live almost in the centre of the village, albeit on a large plot.

So, Trim... really lovely place, the castle is beautiful, we go there when we have visitors from overseas.

Sligo, a very good name for quilting within the Irish Patchwork Society, I've often wondered if it's something in the water there. :D

Visiting Ireland and looking for Quilting Shops? Erm, with the resources available in the US, I personally wouldn't waste any holiday time on trying to find fabric and quilting ephemera here. It's mainly a year out of date and 3X the price I'm afraid. I tend to buy my supplies on-line, except for spending a fortune at the IPS monthly meetings :? .

Thank you all for the lovely welcome, I am looking forward to learning from you all, seeing your projects and getting to know you better.

Signing out with a smile,

Lizzyquilting x
Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 AM

Welcome, so glad you joined us. This is a great place. We love pictures.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Banned

Hello and Welcome :-D :-D
Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...um/welcome.gif[/img]
I think you have just described most 14 yr old sons LMBO
Old 02-21-2010, 07:29 AM

Welcome from Illinois. I love that quote!!!