Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Ask WalMart to get fabric back in stores >

Ask WalMart to get fabric back in stores

Ask WalMart to get fabric back in stores

Old 01-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by quilter41
Why? All they sell is low grade fabrics and rude clerks to wait on you.
I worked in the fabric deptment and loved my customers. From the 92 years old lady that made pot scrubbers from net to the high school kids that were making pjs for class. The boys were so funny trying to buy fabric and being mocho about it. As for the quility of fabric..that is the department managers choice. We, for the most part, had a good selection, which is where part of my stash came from. I'm sorry you ran into bad fabric and salespeople that didn't care. But you're right, the quailty at Walmart has gone way down now that Sam is no longer with us.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 AM

Done!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM
djg

I just filled in the form today- let's hope it does some good
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Well I got my reply. Is this what everyone else got..do they just change the name and send a form letter?

Dear Glenda,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care
Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 AM

That's what I got.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the link - I just filled it out because my local store is in the process of getting rid of their fabric. I quilt for children's charities and will have to cut back drastically without Wal-Mart. I understand that the LQSs don't have the buying power to change their prices, but there is a place for an inexpensive alternative. I will patronize LQS for heirloom quilts but Wal-Mart was fine for my donations worldwide if you were picky about which product. I'm distressed.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 AM

I did it! Hope they get lots of emails.
thanks for the info
Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 AM

hi girls... having worked in our local "fabric dept"... for 3 years... i have been thru it all!!! the letters were sent, the people complained, but it all boils down to not wanting to pay an associate to "cut"... i was lucky we are a little country walmart and i used to personally help all my ladies, with knit, crochet, quilting and a lot of Men, buying gifts from sewing tables to machines or a huge pile of fabricc to add to the "stash".. it waa a wonderful job. i would work sunday and sell fabric faster than i could unpack it!!!
Alas.........the coporate people realized they weren't "making their margins" (profit)...
long story short... they totally redid our store... it was one of the first "prototype" "country food/dept. stores"... the food is very convenient.. and good pricing (although the next parking lot over is Stop and Shop, so that tells you what they were aiming for)......the local people were up and arms and are still fuming!!!! No Yarn, No fabric, yikes...no "plants", or lawn and garden... (my 800 home retirement comm. is a short ride from there,,, all love to plant and craft) "Hello"!!!! we all wrote like crazy... so now they have added to the "celebrations" area, some pre-cut,pre-packaged solids and prints. fleece, even some "project" pre-cut..
quilt pre-cuts....mid to low grade fabric and the RedHeart basic yarn seclection.. it's something anyway!
But basically we have only Joann's and "online" for fabric now... even the store i worked in that was a family business that boomed for almost 90 years has gone out... so ladies.. hold on to your stash... make fun quilts and hope that this country gets back to opening businesses that people WANT and pray that people will stop being so greedy... keeping a little less for themselves and trying to make things affordable again...
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 AM

Okay - I sent mine in.
By the way - the store in Rochester, Indiana has a nice selection of fabric. Wish I could have stayed and really looked it over.
Dodee
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

I have submitted my request for the store near me and sent it to Corp.