Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
If you do FMQ, you need to watch this video >

If you do FMQ, you need to watch this video

If you do FMQ, you need to watch this video

Old 05-25-2013, 05:12 AM
amh

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
ROFLMBO I know this is not a funny thing and yes it works but reading it and using this old imagination of a chicken/person doing it just cracked me up.
I'm so glad seasaw2mch that I gave you a good laugh. It is indeed a funny looking exercise. I am still working (40+ years of typing every day) and I've taught that move to many people. Currently I work with 16 men and have taught them the move. If I see them doing it I will actually go over and put pressure on that spot while they do the exercise as that really helps work it out faster, and they do the same for me.

It is a hard exercise to explain, but obviously I was able to do so. ROFLMBO -- I had to look it up and then laughed and laughed.

If you need to, put a box under your sewing table so your feet are securely planted, what I have done is secure a piece of shelf liner (rug underlay works too) on the bottom of a sturdy plastic container that is the right height for you and put your foot pedal on it. You can put a piece of shelf liner on top of the container and one on the bottom of your foot pedal as well. Nothing moves. Your foot pedal is where you want it and at the right height. I have used a plastic container so it can do double duty and carry things to quilt retreats etc., but anything that's the right height will work. I happen to really like it when I put it down and it stays in place.

You don't want to have pressure on the upper leg when you are sitting as that can cause circulation issues. You should be able to easily push your fingers between your leg and chair.

In this day of ergonomics these things are not taught to people. 45 years ago they were. Interesting.

amh
Old 05-25-2013, 05:53 AM

His video was great!! Thanks for showing us.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:31 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by MissQuilter View Post
Checked out the Martellinotions.com site for the free motion gripper rings. Wow! Pricy. Great idea, but a bit rich for my blood.

I wrapped an embroidery hoop... maybe an 8 inch one, with that rubbery mat stuff that makes things not slip... sort of a open weave plastic stuff.... If you put it on your machine without the foot attached it does a similar thing as that gripper ring. (Then reattach the foot.... Just remove for room to get it under the foot!) Pretty cheap too, and I already had the hoop. Good luck. I think my problem is that I was trying to learn with the bigger patterns, and thought I would then move to smaller ones, but honestly, I think the smaller patterns are easier and maybe you then move UP to being able to do the larger, more open patterns. You have to move the quilt so much more with the larger patterns.

think I am going to try that.... Christine[/QUOTE]

I love this...we're there is a will there is a way. This might seem like a dunb question but do you attach the embroidery hoop the normal way. Do you put it through your quilt sandwich, or does it just sit on top? Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by amh View Post
If you need to, put a box under your sewing table so your feet are securely planted, what I have done is secure a piece of shelf liner (rug underlay works too) on the bottom of a sturdy plastic container that is the right height for you and put your foot pedal on it. You can put a piece of shelf liner on top of the container and one on the bottom of your foot pedal as well. Nothing moves. Your foot pedal is where you want it and at the right height. I have used a plastic container so it can do double duty and carry things to quilt retreats etc., but anything that's the right height will work. I happen to really like it when I put it down and it stays in place.

You don't want to have pressure on the upper leg when you are sitting as that can cause circulation issues. You should be able to easily push your fingers between your leg and chair.

In this day of ergonomics these things are not taught to people. 45 years ago they were. Interesting.
amh
The box under the table doesn't work for me, I would have to make a platform that would also lift my chair and would be a pain in the butt. I have to lower my table so my arms are not up around my neck when I sit in a proper chair that fits me. I think I said the chair was 16" but it is really 15" from the floor to the seat. Any higher then that and it cuts off the circulation in my legs. So my machine table, which I'm about the make a new one will end up at 24 1/2" off the floor, which will make the sewing platform (the sewing machine sets up another 2 1/2 ") just above my elbows. I have tried many ways to do this and find that this is what works best for me and not have tension on the neck and shoulders. I can sew for many hours with no problems at this height, of course I still take breaks just because we all need to.

I have heard a lot of people talk about adding the box under their sewing table to get it to the proper height but if their arms are being force to work at a higher level then what is needed then they also should consider lowering the table so their arms are more relaxed. It's the same as standing and working at a cutting table. If the table is to high or to low you will also have problems.

Last edited by seasaw2mch; 05-27-2013 at 08:02 PM.