Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you're wondering about pricing your quilts...(Amish Reference)

If you're wondering about pricing your quilts...(Amish Reference)

I just found this ad on CL; she is turning it around for what she paid for it directly from the Amish in Lancaster, PA. Just to give (anyone) a point-of-reference for pricing.

http://nh.craigslist.org/atd/3659018110.html

That is amazing. Too bad the bride does not like the look.

Oh wow!! That is absolutely beautiful!

I can't imagine paying $700 for a gift for someone that I'm not certain of their tastes? It's not my taste for sure, as I also lean toward modern design. Yikes.

I can't believe she got that quilt for just $700! Amish quilts in my area are $1200 and UP
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

If I was the bride I would be HAPPY to get that beautiful quilt!! And yes, that is a low price.

Blog Entries
    We live in an area where there are several Amish communities. I find it utterly amazing at the price people will pay for items that are stamped with "Amish made". Their craftsmanship is, for the most part, very well done..... but a bit overpriced .... IMHO.

I also notice that in the Amish quilts most of the fabric is solid which sells for a lot less. Plus they are probably buying their fabrics wholesale and don't have as much in materials as we would have. Not to take away from their craft but like anything else "name branding" brings a higher price. However I can say I would not make that quilt for $700

Power Poster
    Its a beautiful quilt.
    SueDor

That is a cheap quilt. Some of mine cost that much just in materials.

Blog Entries
    I have never paid $700.00 for a wedding present, but if I did, I would want to find the bride's taste before I bought it. I remember my mother bought me a green and white set of dishes. I wanted to have blue and white, but I felt obligated to use the dishes and decorated the kitchen to match. I was never happy with it and was so glad when the dishes broke. I now have a blue and white kitchen.
    I have been at the Mennonite and Amish auction in PA and never saw a quilt that size sell for that low a price, although I noticed last year that the quilts were not selling as high as they were a few years ago.

Blog Entries
    I hope she can sell it.

Blog Entries
    I'm sooooo glad you sent this. I have a kingsize quilt with another full size at a consignment shop. I put $150.00 on the kingsize and $100.00 on the full size. There was a lady came in a offered me $50.00 for the kingsize. I said no that it was worth more and she left. The owner then told me all she could get out of any quilt was $40.00. I told her I'd buy all she could get. What do yall think?
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
    I can't believe she got that quilt for just $700! Amish quilts in my area are $1200 and UP
    I have heard that quilts are being sold as an Amish quilt but have really been made in China...Not saying this one has but....just sending on what I have heard.....Buyer beware!!!!!

Wow, that is a beautiful quilt.

it-is-a-beautiful-quilt
    ​debra

That is an excellent price. I purchased an Amish quilt for $900, in a full size 17 years ago. So what she paid is a great price .Too bad the bride doesn't like it. That is gorgeous!!!
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Morag View Post
    I have heard that quilts are being sold as an Amish quilt but have really been made in China...Not saying this one has but....just sending on what I have heard.....Buyer beware!!!!!

Also, many Amish quilts are being hand quilted by non-Amish to keep up with demand.

I think it is lovely and way under priced. However I know and appreciate the skill and work that went into the amazing quilt.

When I was in Lancaster a few years ago, the only quilts I saw at that price were twin size. All others were well over $1,000.

There's an Amish auction about an hour from me every year to support their local schools. Ove Amish made 100 quilts are auctioned each time. The quilts go from $500 up to around $2200 or so. The more handwork intensive, the more expensive they sell for. This one would definitely have sold for well over $1500. We've one the past three years just to see the quilts and the workmanship. Two years ago, I got two quilts for a really good price at the tail end of the auction. One was a triple Irish chain that I paid $350 for and the other was a little more intricate pieced quilt that I paid $400 for. Both were made with quality LQS quilt fabric. All of the quilts there are handquilted.
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Morag View Post
    When I first saw the picture I wondered if it was even made by the Amish. I guess I have never seen an applique quilt made by the Amish.

stunning quilt. no matter what my taste I would be thrilled to get something like that!

Blog Entries
    Never! That is ridiculous!
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i can't remember what quilting magazine, and it was last year, had an article in it saying people in china, thailand, cant remember exactly where but the quilts for amish are being quilted in these countries and then sent back to usa and being sold as amish made. i wish i could find that article. anyone else remember this article?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast