Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Journey to Paducah blocks? >

Journey to Paducah blocks?

Journey to Paducah blocks?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 AM

I printed out the 1st 2. Now to see if I'm up for the challenge. Fabric shopping in my future!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Glad you are up to the challenge Quilter53. I have already figured out how to simplify that block. I'm working from my batik stash but maybe I'll have to shop in the end. Happy Sewing. I can't do a block a day but I can print them to get done as soon as I can get to them. It's alot of tiny pieces. My approach on the first block was wrong. I saw the center as flying geese and worked them with inset seams. Difficult for me. It was so much easier when I saw the pieces as a checkerboard and simply sewed the 1 1/2 inch pieces in rows. The outer border is sewn like piano keys. Mine were all over the place. I intend to rip apart the border and resew as three rows with and inset alternating row. It's important to measure the pieces when it says measure. I was sewing with too scant a 1/4 inch and ended up chopping off the outer edges of each square up. This one will definitely take longer if I end up making a practice block and then a real one. Hoping for a happy end.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:27 PM

It is so lovely, but 1" blocks are too hard for me if it totals 103" x 103".
Old 08-09-2018, 06:34 PM

SBG, there's a thought! :-p

The bright colors on black are a distinctive look. The sashing is so dotty looking that you have to enjoy that to use it. I guess you have to be attracted to the idea of the design, as it's pretty unique.

When it comes down to it, it's really only 36 sampler blocks, which seems quite doable. The sashes are quite wide, and part of what makes the size get so big. If you change the sashes and cornerstones, that would eliminate a lot of sewing. I think it just seems like a lot of pieces at first, but after you study it, nothing about it looks very difficult...

Oh! I've opened the block pages, and see it's not sashing, but that each block has the same border. So, you could eliminate that dotty border on each block, and it wouldn't take so long to make each block. I guess that is how it could go faster. :-) On the other hand, if you strip piece the dotty part of the block, it would go pretty fast too.

Last edited by givio; 08-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.