Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Journey to Paducah blocks?

Journey to Paducah blocks?

Anyone else up to doing this block of the day for the next 35 days? It's on AQSblogspot under free patterns. Each day is a new block. I'm going to do the blocks but not everyday. A challenge for sure. I have all the colors but not the black, mine is going to be off white batiks and bright batiks.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-08-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: remove copyright pic

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's pretty. But, not on my list of things to do right now. But, thanks for the inspiration. I can't wait to see yours.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Too many pieces, would not be for me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm with Jingle. Too many pieces. But it is beautiful.
    Alyce

Beautiful quilt. I may save the blocks for a later date.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Neat blocks, but just the size and amounts of pieces for just the first block make me twitchy

It's a gorgeous pattern. Your colors and fabrics sound pretty. It's fun to try a challenge and learn new skills.

It's gorgeous, but wow! A block like those each day is a bit much. Sometimes I can barely find time to do my dishes everyday, lol!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I printed out the 1st 2. Now to see if I'm up for the challenge. Fabric shopping in my future!

Glad you are up to the challenge Quilter53. I have already figured out how to simplify that block. I'm working from my batik stash but maybe I'll have to shop in the end. Happy Sewing. I can't do a block a day but I can print them to get done as soon as I can get to them. It's alot of tiny pieces. My approach on the first block was wrong. I saw the center as flying geese and worked them with inset seams. Difficult for me. It was so much easier when I saw the pieces as a checkerboard and simply sewed the 1 1/2 inch pieces in rows. The outer border is sewn like piano keys. Mine were all over the place. I intend to rip apart the border and resew as three rows with and inset alternating row. It's important to measure the pieces when it says measure. I was sewing with too scant a 1/4 inch and ended up chopping off the outer edges of each square up. This one will definitely take longer if I end up making a practice block and then a real one. Hoping for a happy end.

Blog Entries
    It is so lovely, but 1" blocks are too hard for me if it totals 103" x 103".

SBG, there's a thought! :-p

The bright colors on black are a distinctive look. The sashing is so dotty looking that you have to enjoy that to use it. I guess you have to be attracted to the idea of the design, as it's pretty unique.

When it comes down to it, it's really only 36 sampler blocks, which seems quite doable. The sashes are quite wide, and part of what makes the size get so big. If you change the sashes and cornerstones, that would eliminate a lot of sewing. I think it just seems like a lot of pieces at first, but after you study it, nothing about it looks very difficult...

Oh! I've opened the block pages, and see it's not sashing, but that each block has the same border. So, you could eliminate that dotty border on each block, and it wouldn't take so long to make each block. I guess that is how it could go faster. :-) On the other hand, if you strip piece the dotty part of the block, it would go pretty fast too.
    Last edited by givio; 08-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.