Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Magnificent find at JAF

When Hancock Fabric's store went out of business in my town, there were lot of fabric on the bolts left on the last day of being open. I asked the manger what would happen to the fabric. She said it was taken to the dump. ! I said why not donate it? She said she wasn't allowed. I said what dump will it be taken to? She said don't think you can go get it, dirty oil will be poured on it so it can't be used. I couldn't believe it. She said it was corporate policy that all the leftover item in the store had to be destroyed. Target has the same policy. I found that out when I was at the landfill with DH taking a load to get rid of. A big dump truck pulled up loaded with merchandise that looked brand new. He said it was from the Target store. Said it was a shame but he could not give it away, had to be dumped or he would lose his job. He did reach into the pouring pile and grabbed a brand new child's bean bag chair that was on the side and gave it to my grandson who was with us. I watched as all that good stuff went onto the conveyor to the bulldozers.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My sister read the email to me Sunday. I asked if she wanted to go. She got dressed and decided not to go.
    we do not need fabric, quilt books, thread, patterns or batting. We have fabric in every room in the house except the kitchen and 2 bathrooms. The downstairs bathroom has batting stored in the shower. I have started the process of whittling down the hoard and have not been in fabric store or quilt shop in months. I am glad that other ipeople found fabulous deals on this sale. It's all about the hunt.

Our JoAnnís Manager is a nice lady so happy about that. Some employees cut exact measurements and some give me 2-3Ē extra. I do almost all charity sewing so I donít go to quilt shops much.

Not sure how our JoAnn's was handling it. I am 2 weeks away of moving so I didn't dare go buy more fabric to ship to the new home. I am envious of everyone who was able to add to their stash.
    Last edited by Jannie; 07-09-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    I will use a great deal of this for charity quilts. I will be taking over to the guild coordinator about 30 yards this afternoon. I will be giving one sister 4 yards of fleece she is going to make me a bathrobe. I have 2 other pieces of poly blend to use for another project. The rest I will use for this and that. Until the next great find.

I just read Onebyone's post about going to the dumps. What a shame. Makes you wonder how these dumb decisions are made.

I decided not to tempt myself. Although I missed the email there as well as my mail, one of my Tuesday group members had spread the word and all of us felt that we <gasp> had enough fabric and none of us went.

I ended up coming home from group with more fabric than I went there... that's what happens, we shift around the stash a bit from person to person.

My closest joanns is an hour away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2