Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magnificent find at JAF

Blog Entries

Magnificent find at JAF

My youngest sister called me last night to tell me about this great sale at JAF. Buy 1 yard of any fabric that is Not being clearanced and you get 10 yards of clearance fabric for a penny a yard. Here's the Bigger wonder... The store closest to me let me buy a yard that was on sale at 30% off as my regular fabric and let me have whatever I wanted from the clearance fabrics (blue, dark green, and pink tagged) for a penny with no limit!!! So I purchased 140 yards of fabric for the grand total of $1.40! I paid taxes on the $1.40 and on my regular yard of $.36. My total bill was $8.47. It took 2 carts for me to get everything from the store into my cart and 3 trips to get it from the car to the house. They gave me a good number of empty bolts to put it back onto. JAF fabrics go in a separate fabric cabinet so I don't mix them with my quilt shop fabrics.
    A number of the fabrics I purchased will go to my quilt guild for charity quilts. You may want to check your own Joann Fabrics today. This sale ends today. You can always ask and see if you will get the same deal. Now to go and fold and bolt fabrics.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-08-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    What? that was a haul. perhaps a very "new" employee..... can't believe they would do that, but good shopping.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Power Poster
    ​Congratulations!

Blog Entries
    Nope! The store manager was doing the cutting for me.

I have shopped at a lot of JAF stores. Each manager does things differently. One store will accept coupons for items marked down, one won't. One let me use a 40% off coupon on an iron. One said no way. Managers are very intimidated by corp. office and those that know the way around the black and white rules have much better sales and profit so little involvement from corp. to rock the boat, it's a circle.

I don't usually go to JAF.

In my town that is. The manager there berates any cutter that is over 1/4 inch over what the cut is suppose to be. Most of the younger employees walk out after a lecture. The manger is a freak show.
    Last edited by fruitloop; 07-08-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Wow, that is an amazing haul!!! You pretty much got it for free. Congrats!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I've been in a one-sided quarrel with Joann for a couple of years now, since a mail order of a roll of batting went bad.

I still get the mailers but I don't read them, and I've been in the fabric moratorium anyway... but still, a good deal is a good deal and I always need pieces big enough for backs. Maybe it's time to drag myself just the mile away to the store and check it out.

I'm going to pay with cash though and if it requires a coupon won't do it so that Joann doesn't think all is forgiven. Because it isn't!

Unfortunately my closest Joann is a 45 minute drive away...
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    OMG! Iforgot all about the fabric moratorium! I was trying so hard. I haven't purchased any fabric for myself in months until now. I have been so careful too. I keep the JAF fabrics seperate from my other fabrics. does it count at a penny a yard? Back to no more fabric again. That is way more important than buying fabrics. Though about 1/3 will be going to the guild for charity quilting projects.

Blog Entries
    I am not a big JAF shopper either. I much rather get my fabrics from quilt stores. I do mostly online anymore. My closest quilt shop with fabrics is close to an hour from here. I don't drive very far from home.

Don't worry, Juliasb, even in the moratorium we have our slips and sometimes you've just got to do what you've got to do. I don't know if the others give themselves exceptions/exemptions but I give myself some slack on thrift store buys which I do have a lot of success in finding good stuff.

So far this year I've bought minimal new stuff, including recently multiple yards at Walmart for $1 a yard/precut package, and one half yard which was used immediately in a project, so that's barely anything, about $20 in 2019 so far. I mean -- a buck a yard! If I can't resist that, I don't see how I can resist a penny a yard I would have done the same thing, so as I say -- Score!

Power Poster
    I just called two JoAnn stores in my area (Apple Valley, MN and Edina, MN) and I was told that their deal was:

Buy one yard of regular or sale priced fabric and then one could get one yard of selected clearance fabric for $0.01 a yard.

The limit was ten yards of regular or sale priced fabric and get ten yards of selected clearance fabrics for $0.01 a yard.

You might want to call your local store before making the trip.

Whoa, that is quite a deal. I guess that is one way to clear out the clearance racks. Enjoy your new in house fabric store. That is truly shopping your stash.

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    Unfortunately my closest Joann is a 45 minute drive away...

I was close to four Joann's but I ended up married to a Kathy for 20+ years.
    My greatest fear is all of my family standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" he was.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leonf View Post
    I was close to four Joann's but I ended up married to a Kathy for 20+ years.
    Very clever LOL
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    I just did the math. I got 140 yards of fabric and 11 yards of pellum. If I had paid full price it would have cost me $1,146.53. As it was I paid $1.40 and $4.50 for 1.5 yd at 30% off. Every store is handling it different. I think it depends on how badly they want to get rid of the fabrics. You are correct that the sign for this sale reads very differently. I just got very lucky. A sale I couldn't pass up. I have 16 different bolts that have between 5-12 yards of fabric on them. Now I have to find a place to put all of it. That will be for tomorrow as this lady is very tired.

Wow! Moratorium or not, that deal is one nobody would pass up! To buy $1146.53 of fabric for $5.90 is amazing! A big congratulations!!

That's incredible! You must have been on a fabric high while you shopped at those prices! Good thing I didn't read this post till just now or I would've been sorely tempted--even though I haven't bought fabric at Joann since I can't remember when. I'm on a moratorium as well and it's going really well. My resolve is strong because my shoulder is weak. LOL Hurts to sew for more than 1 hour.

Blog Entries
    My JoAnn’s just moved to a new location last week. They had an “Everything Must Go” sale at the old location so I doubt they have much clearance fabric. Plus I’m on a strict fabric diet so I stayed away. Good deal for some though.

Blog Entries
    I am definitely back to moratorium status! I just finished putting all of this away. It meant finding another place in my sewing studio to store it. I cleared out a small shelf area and found a place to put most of what was on that shelf already. I was able to get all of the bolt put on this shelf 2 bolts wide. I do not mix my quilt shop fabrics with JAF and that small area that I was previously using could not support this new 140 yards of fabric hence finding a new spot.
    Even DH was thrilled for me with this find. No complaints on the money spent. He knows I will find a use for it.
    I also feel pretty good that I will be able to help with fabrics for my guild. We never seem to have enough for special projects.

I called the local JFS here, we have two within driving distance to me. One said what penny sale? the other said the store did not have any clearance fabric. That's why I rarely shop in those stores.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

That's the largest haul I've heard of!
    Fabric moratorium or not- happy for you! Hard to pass on that one.

Someone must have heard me complaining. Our local store is such a mess. Hate the place. Well, I had to get plastic for under my cats litter boxes and a huge remodel is underway.

Blog Entries
    You got a great deal because that was not how the ad was supposed to work. It was a yard for each yard purchased with a limit of 10 yards. It was very confusing and the discount had to be manually done at the cut counter. More than one of my customers got a bit better of a deal than expected because of the confusion! I'm happy for you and I hope this will help the folks at corporate to think through their ideas a bit more!

They probably don't care and just want it gone. There's not much profit in $.01 a yard!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast