Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New Mystery quilt >

New Mystery quilt

New Mystery quilt

Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

What I have seen of her quilts leads me to think she uses traditional patterns. You choose the fabrics. That can make all the difference, as to whether your quilt looks 'country' or 'contemporary'.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by vbourck
Originally Posted by golfer
Bonnie Hunter will be the guest speaker at our guild this month. I am taking her class on "Scrappy Sisters" and the next day she is doing "Crumbs, crumbs" (I believe that is the title.) Everyone is really excited about her coming. My friend and I will be making lap quilts to send to Walter Reed Hospital.
I am planning on coming to that meeting, it will be my first visit to the guild. I am excited about hearing Bonnie too. I did go to the show a few weeks ago. It was wonderful. Maybe we can meet there?
Hey, golfer, does that mean you are no longer "in hiding", now that we know you are going to the same quilt guild as someone in Maryland?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Quilting Cat, I joined the newsletter some time ago, and I did not know all the steps in setting up my profile, so I have left it along. I am not in hiding just busy reading the newsletters and enjoying every minute of it. I am a golfer when the weather allows it. I have been a member of the Flying Geese Quilt Guild for three years and am attempting to become a quilter.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM

I would love to do the mystery quilt How do I get started
Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 PM

Tonight is the night to hear Bonnie Hunter at a local quilt guilt, very excited! And the mystery starts this FRIDAY!! Are you ready? Do you have your scraps sorted? I am sure I will get the motivation I need tonight to get them all together and ready.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I

My question and concern is...I'm not an experienced quilter so would it be best to copy the old mystery quilt steps and the new ones also for me to work on as I'm able? Or should I step in with both feet and follow along on this journey? The timing (the holidays) and my getting overwhelmed concerns me.

Sorry this is so long...just trying not to get in over my head.
I have just started reading through this thread and wanted to encourage you to start somewhere <g> ... now, is as good a time as any, and this quilt is as good as can be. I don't know what Miss Bonnie will be doing, but rest assured. Since all of us will be working on this as you do, you will get a lot of tips and encouragement.
much better to work on a project with others at the time it is ongoing.
Jumping in and making myself do a mystery quilt is exactly how I got off the dime and started my quilting journey. I HIGHLY recommend it.
I am going to do this because y'all are such a fun group and Miss Bonnie is an excellent instructor.
One thing to consider - - Miss Bonnie does not know "little" all of her quilts are BIGGGG! Be prepared for that ...
Even if you don't find colors to match hers, exactly, in your stash, use what you have! (and, it is pretty amazing what colors turn out "green" when you get a bunch of green color around it) ... the point is "DO IT!"
you may find you want to make another one later ...
Miss Bonnie believes in quilts that are to be used, and no matter how you put the fabric together, your quilt will be used and appreciated. <wave>
Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by vbourck
Bonnie Hunter has just posted the "yardage requirements"(she just uses up scraps) for a new mystery quilt. I have not done one of hers yet, but am thinking I might try this one. Anyone else up for this challenge?

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...l-yardage.html
In case, I forgot to mention it - - I will join you in your new adventure. <wave>
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I would love to, but it calls for more colors than I have and I don't have money to buy any.
have you considered shopping for the shirts and cotton dresses in your closest thrift store? Lots of thrift stores have $1 bag days ... the fabric in one shirt can be almost 1.5 yards. Just a thought. <wave>
Old 11-15-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by golfer
Bonnie Hunter will be the guest speaker at our guild this month. I am taking her class on "Scrappy Sisters" and the next day she is doing "Crumbs, crumbs" (I believe that is the title.) Everyone is really excited about her coming. My friend and I will be making lap quilts to send to Walter Reed Hospital.
How big are the lap quilts you are sending to Walter Reed Hospital? <wave>
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 PM

Okay!
Just in case life in my world goes differently than what I think it will go in the next week or so?
I am going to depend on this thread to notify me that a new clue has been posted.
I went through some of the other sites where I can connect with Miss Bonnie, and I am just not up for that much involvement with that big a world (if you know what I mean), so I am depending on you to post to this thread! <wave>