Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
One Day New Year's Mystery Quilt >

One Day New Year's Mystery Quilt

One Day New Year's Mystery Quilt

Old 01-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Phyl
no instructions for the mystery quilt and i have all of my fabric cut and ready...............are you getting them???????????

please help...........sigh
Bless your heart! You had to wait two hours for me to respond! You get the award for tenacity, I must say! Good job!
I must have received your air waves because in the middle of what I was doing, I thought: I ought to check the Quilting Board and see if anyone else is here.
Are you going to make another one?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm slowly working on this one and I like it. I'll have to make up my mind as to whether or not my sister gets this or I make another one for her.
I've been quilting for 5 years now but I usually make up my own designs. (I've decided to become a rebel since I turned 50 several years ago!) I have to read the instructions a few times and visualize it before I have the nerve to go ahead and stitch.
I also like to work slowly and enjoy each piece. For me, it's not only the finished product, it's the journey. I won't have time to quilt again before Tuesday so I am allowing each step to envelope me. Ahhhh...it is relaxing now that you "de-stressed" me with the web site!Thanks again. See you on the board!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 PM

I totally get that! The process is as important to the mind and soul as the task.
Like you, I can't quite grasp what those colors are doing, even though an accomplished artist tries to convey the concept. Without a visual, I am stymied with my choices, but I have found myself put off from some projects because of the designer's color choices, so there are plus and minuses to each and every proffered pattern.
I finally had to just do it, and then, if the pattern was pleasant or the technique was worth exploring further, I gave myself permission to keep doing the same thing over and over until I found a combination that seemed to capture my idea of "pretty".
I have one thing over most quilters, and that is - - I have a consistent, persistent outlet for my creations through the veterans' service organization I am associated with. My family supports my efforts, so I am surrounded with encouragement (even though ONE person isn't quite convinced that I am being the most efficient with time and resources by buying whole cloth, cutting it up, and sewing it back together again <g>)
Anyway, just keep track of this thread, take your time and it will be here for when you are ready to post your creations. <wave>
Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Yeah, cutting up the fabric so I can put it back together again!!!!Let's not let that out!!!! LOL!!!!

There comes a time in everyone's life I believe, when we decide we have cared for so many for just so long and now it's time for us to do whatever we want to do regardless of what other's think is worthwhile for us. (Phew!)

I found quilting after retirement and I love it at whatever pace I want. I only do quilts for those special people who understand the work, the cost, the love that goes into a quilt. I find it exciting and rewarding. I love the feel of the fabrics, the matching, the dreaming about quilted items that may never see the light of day except in my head. I'm grateful for lovely people such as yourself who extend a friendly hand to others.
What a great way to start a NEW YEAR!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:47 PM

So here are some pictures of the finished top. I needed it to be a bit bigger for my veterans, so I added another border. I will probably make another one (different fabrics), just because the pattern is straightforward, and FAST! I did all my cutting on the same day of the mystery .... do NOT do as I do .... PLEASE ... follow the directions better than I do <g>
I will be using the red for the binding, and haven't decided on the backing ... but Charisma knows I have enough fabric to make a Christmas backing if I want to.
By the way, you will notice the focus fabric is Christmas, and I didn't want to spend a lot of time looking for Christmas darks in the old bunkhouse, so I thought and I thought ... I looked at my darks and thought ... they really don't seem to have a theme that I can think of to put with them, since I don't know where most of my fabric is ...
and, then it dawned on me! To me every day is Christmas Day - - I celebrate the salvation come to earth in my Savior, but every day is brandy new and by golly! Even when we gift others, we give them all sorts of things ... SO!
Just think Christmas present when you see Olivia whining about being "worn out"! LOL

The extra border sure makes it look busy, eh?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62697[/ATTACH]

I mixed up the focus and accent fabric, but it looks sort of cool, I think ...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62698[/ATTACH]

What Christmas means to me
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62699[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62692.jpe   attachment-62693.jpe   attachment-62694.jpe  
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 PM

whew! Olivia didn't show up, but, bummer! DId my little cowboy riding the stick horse saying "Cowboy up!" LOL
Old 01-02-2010, 06:24 PM

It looks great! The busy fabric is fine because the "solid light" gives the eye a chance to rest. I'm up to part six but really can't quilt until Tuesday due to baby sitting and then being too tired to concentrate on it at night.
How do you download pictures onto this forum? When I am ready, I'd love to show my quilt too. I think it would look different in other colors and patterns and you are right. It is a basic, easy, fast quilt to do. Just plain fun....
I'm looking at the extra border and I really think it brings all of the other colors and pieces together! It wouldn't be as finished looking if it didn't have it. Great choice.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM

When you click on the Reply button, the next page comes up. At the bottom of the white box are some lines of white that say: File Attachments above them and at the right side of each line is a button "Browse..."
When you click on that button, your picture file will come up. Go through your pictures and click on the one you want to attach. Then ... click on "Open" in your file box - - some type of listing comes up in the box in front of "Browse" on this reply page.
If you want to add another picture, just click on the next browse ...
repeat three times in one reply, but it will not allow you to download/upload more than three pictures at a time.
If you have more than three, go ahead, get the first three, then click on SEND ... do NOT Preview or the pictures will be dropped.
For more than three pictures, let the first three upload and then click on "reply" for your next set.
You will also notice in the File attachments section, a long box in front of the browse and location boxes ... that is where you can type in a brief description, that you may have noticed under some other posts on this site.
If you think you cannot remember all of this <g> go up to "file" at the very top of your current page, open it up and click on "New Window" ... if you make the second window smaller, you can read this post and practice it on the original window ...
or
you can go to the "Pictures" section of the Board and it will have a tutorial there that may explain it better than I have done.
<wave> Will wait patiently <g>
Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM

wow WOW! You are most knowledgeable in more than quilting~~
Thank you. I will try to be brave enough to try it!
I went out and bought all different black and whites to try it in. I think with an add of a splash of color it will be quite nice. Now I can't wait until tomorrow to be quilting! Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Phyl
wow WOW! You are most knowledgeable in more than quilting~~
Thank you. I will try to be brave enough to try it!
I went out and bought all different black and whites to try it in. I think with an add of a splash of color it will be quite nice. Now I can't wait until tomorrow to be quilting! Thanks again.
That sounds soooo fun!
If I know anything about my way around this forum it is because someone helped me as I have tried to help you!
That is just the way these kids are!
<wave>