Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/2013-bonnie-hunter-mystery-celtic-solstice-t233227.html)

Emma S 01-05-2014 11:06 AM

Tweety: With the weather you are having it must be a real treat to look at your beautiful bright quilt. Great finish. Are you going to use Bonnie's suggested borders?

Podunk Princess 01-05-2014 01:36 PM

I love seeing everyone's "in progress" photos and the color variations. Is anyone following the Facebook groups? Have you seen the version where the lady used black instead of neutrals? It really pops all the other colors and is very striking. I may try that next time....I do think this is a quilt worth making again in different colors.

tellabella 01-05-2014 02:12 PM

I have made about 15 blocks or so...easy to mix up the pattern...4 patch reversal,etc...I have had to redo 2 so far...

Nilla 01-05-2014 02:59 PM

Okay, I really need help. This is so humbling. I have to admit, I thought I was a pretty good quilter. My points usually match up pretty well, but these chevron blocks have me pulling my hair out. The tops that have been posted so far look really good, so it's not a universal problem, just a "me" problem. So I need one of two things from my lovely quilting friends if you would be so kind.

1) If you finished your top and your chevron pieces don't match up (where the orange piece of the HST touches the green chevron), please show some closeups of that spot along with the overall top so I'll be able to see that indeed, not having perfect points won't matter once it's finished.
Or 2) tell me how on earth you pin to make those spots match up. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious and when I understand from someone else how it's done, I'll get it.
I'll be crossing my fingers that someone can help me, otherwise I might just put this darn thing away and never finish it! Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

grandmasieg 01-05-2014 04:12 PM

Nilla it is not you. My chevrons do not match up with the orange triangle but I'm just leaving as is. When the block is put together with the other blocks it is hardly noticeable. Plus once it's finished and quilted it is going to be loved and no one will notice. Just go with it!

quiltsRfun 01-05-2014 04:44 PM

I've looked carefully at the various tops posted here and other places. It seems others are having the same problem. No criticism intended. All the tops I've seen are gorgeous and I really had to look to find them. But it made me feel a bit better to know it's not just me. And it also proved to me that it won't be that noticeable since they didn't jump out at me. I'm doing the best I can and calling it a learning experience, or maybe a design choice. Haven't decided yet. :)

Emma S 01-05-2014 05:25 PM

Some of mine are matching, far to many are not. I think the problem with mine is because of the way I trimmed the chevrons. To match I think the white on the chevrons should have exactly a .25 inch on the corner. I was far to careless when I trimmed them. This maybe one of those pieces that a paper piecing would be the answer.

SheriR 01-05-2014 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 6495294)
Some of mine are matching, far to many are not. I think the problem with mine is because of the way I trimmed the chevrons. To match I think the white on the chevrons should have exactly a .25 inch on the corner. I was far to careless when I trimmed them. This maybe one of those pieces that a paper piecing would be the answer.

Emma would you post a pic. I guess I'm visual too but I'm fixin to trim my chevrons and maybe I can learn from you.

Tweety2911 01-05-2014 06:11 PM

Thanks Emma, yes I plan on doing the borders but am thinking I might want to add two more rows...just debating whether I want to go through all those steps again:p

Quiltaddiction 01-05-2014 07:15 PM

I am still doing steps on mine but after seeing the reveal I absolutely love this quilt and WILL finish it even if it takes me all year (Now I've said that out loud you can all hold me to it :p ) There are some beautiful quilts/blocks being shown Bonnies patterns are gorgeous!