Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/2013-bonnie-hunter-mystery-celtic-solstice-t233227.html)

KalamaQuilts 01-16-2014 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut (Post 6516632)

I am trying to decide if I can get 7 more blocks out of what I have now and make it square (70"x70") before borders or keep it rectangular and just do some more borders? I will be making it for our queen sized bed with a deep mattress so I know it won't have much of a drop but since I am almost out of my sandy/brownish fabric I am not sure if I can get many more new blocks...

Cathie, had a double bed for 30 years so my quilts were geared to that size. When we finally made the move to a queen size, I ripped up a sheet into 5 strips and sewed them onto the bottom of some of my quilts. Brilliant :) Plenty of tuck under and I do it now just because by the time I'm tired of something I have enough wide but not enough long...bind that puppy and out comes a sheet strip.

Caroline S 01-17-2014 05:58 AM

Caroline S (aka the Hare) reporting in. Clues 1, 2 and 4 are complete. Am planning to complete those dratted pinwheels of clue 3 this weekend. Then upward an onward to #5.

Emma S 01-17-2014 07:57 AM

Hare: Congrats on your progress. Speed isn't important but having fun on the way is, for sure.

nellie 01-17-2014 08:29 PM

Kalamaquilts your colors and quilt came out very beautiful perfect just perfectly put together wow you go girl

nellie 01-17-2014 08:34 PM

boy you ladies rock wonderful colors on your blocks love it ,I come in and check often to see something new . you don,t disappoint me I,m still playing catch up lol

Tweety2911 01-18-2014 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I need some help. I can't decide on green border or blue, help me choose please :)
Blue or green?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457174[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]457178[/ATTACH]

Emma S 01-18-2014 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tweety: I think I like the blue the best, I think the green would be better if it was lighter. Its funny how close we are to the same place on the quilt. Its as large as I want it so I won't be putting borders on it. The 25 left over blocks are going on the back in a medallion design.
Couldn't get the whole thing in the picture but it measures 99 X 99.

Nilla 01-18-2014 09:57 AM

Your tops all look so pretty! I finished mine this morning. I decided not to put the tri rec border on because the quilt is already so busy and I wanted to tone it down a bit. I'm going to use my tri rec squares on the back somehow.

I must say, now that it's finished, the spots that are a little off aren't noticeable. All that stressing I did for nothing!

One thing I think I'll do differently next year is to use a few bright fabric choices, but also a few calmer, softer colors. Mine are all loud and made for a loud, albeit pretty, quilt!

Emma S 01-18-2014 10:06 AM

Nilla: I decided to call my quilt DYNAMIC not loud. I feel the same way about my less than perfect piecing. If I had a galloping horse to ride by on, I would hardly notice.
Certainly not an expert in color choices but I did Bonnie's Orca quilt and for some reason the pattern didn't emerge. Maybe it was because I used mottled whites as opposed to the solid white or maybe the purples and greens had too big a range. Don't know but that's why I chose solid whites and pretty much the same intensity of the darker colors. The Orca is a UFO, when I finish it I am going to ask the Board to help me figure out why the pattern didn't emerge. The CS pattern sure did.

CindyA 01-18-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 (Post 6519634)
I need some help. I can't decide on green border or blue, help me choose please :)
Blue or green?

I'm loving the blue!!