Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance >

Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance

Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance

Old 05-25-2014, 08:07 AM

After 1 hour, I announce to all the 'not my job' personnel who have ignored my repeated request for help (including walking to the courtesy desk and specifically asking for help) that I am cutting my own fabric, then i cut it.

Then I bring my cut up to the registers along with the bolt. The poor checker tells me I can't cut my own fabric. I tell him or her that apparently no one in the store can cut it, that I have asked many people, including courtesy desk and got no response, so I finally cut it myself. I explain that they are welcome to go back and measure it themselves. Lots of confusion and delay at the checkout, but eventually I get my fabric.

But I really have to want the fabric to do that. In fact, sometimes I don't even look if I can't SEE personnel working in the area.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
Well, a short time ago we complained that Wal-mart took out the sewing center, then we wrote, called and sent e-mails to have it brought back in. I do shop the Wal-mart fabric department and most of the time I am the only one there and have to look up a clerk to cut for me. From the ridiculous to the sublime and back again. If we don't support them we loose them.

if our wal mart does this it will be their own fault.
They have a nice assortment and notions, etc. but they do not have anyone designated to work in that department.
What they do have is what I call a "floater".
She floats all over the store doing a variety of things and the electronics dept. has to call her.
When she "finally" comes, you have to grab her or she will LITERALLY run...RUN from the fabric dept. before you get your bolts to the cutting table!
It has made me pass on getting any fabric MANY, MANY times.
Maybe she is doing me a favor
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 AM

So glad I saw this post today as I am going there in awhile, after I'm finished looking so many things here!
Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM

Our Walmart did away with fabric, until the quilt club got a phone project going. After over 4000 calls to both the local store and corporate, the store was rearranged and the fabric/notions/machines/etc were brought back. The population of this town is only around 7000.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Good for you Cahtyvv. It is so aggravating to have to wait and wait and wait. Sometimes just taking charge is the only way to go. I'm all for you.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I think that the headquarters set it up so that the fabric departments would fail, and then they could say "Told you"
Old 05-25-2014, 04:04 PM

Call 1-800-Walmart when you have to wait and wait at the store for someone to cut, or check. The corporate offices will call the store manager...please use this information judiciously, and not for every little irritation.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:42 PM

I've seen "new" fabric departments at walmart and they are a pale comparison to what they had in stores that did well with it.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 PM

My local Walmart fabric dept does not have any more in their clearance section than normal. And their
clearance prices run $4 or more a yard.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:49 PM

Our Walmart is very hard to get your fabric cut, I have left it on the cutting table more than a few times I don't have a lot of patience to wait over 10 to 15 minutes to get it cut. I would buy it there but they force me to order it on line.
I will try calling the store next time a see how that works in my local wal mart.