Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance >

Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance

Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance

Old 05-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I don't think the bad service is WalMart as a whole, but the running of the individual stores. In my county I have to track someone down to cut fabric too, but the county next to me always has a lady there that before I even find something comes up to me and ask if she can help me with anything. She is always there too. Both stores have plenty of fabric so far, and even more notions.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 PM

I visited two Walmarts over the weekend, but nothing was marked down. In fact, the more rural Walmart that used to have a HUGE fabric selection had nothing but a few 2-yard pre-cuts, mostly solids. Their whole fabric department was all but gone.

As far as service, my closest Walmart is fair. Sometimes it's hard to find someone that knows how to operate the machine that prints the price labels, and quite often, the machine acts up. At the next-closest Walmart, the service is HORRIBLE. Last time I waited 45 minutes, and had someone paged several times, but nobody ever showed up. I even tried calling the store manager from my cell phone, and heard him/her paged numerous times, but s/he never even answered the phone. I finally gave up, but I left a note on the cutting table to let them know that it costed them a big sale (I'd wanted to buy the whole bolt). I filed a complaint with their corporate office, but it didn't do any good. Needless to say, I don't shop there anymore.

I'd really rather shop at Hobby Lobby or order online anyway. The fabric is almost always nicer.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

It's their own fault that they don't sell much fabric. You can never find anyone to cut it for you. Can't blame people for not hanging around all day while they scare up someone who knows how to cut fabric! Back in the day when they had one or two people working full time in the fabric and craft section (and never left!) the fabric sections of Walmart were hustling and bustling. I gave up trying to buy fabric there now because there's never an employee around: POOR management.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Every quilt shop has a sale corner. My shop has an ongoing rack of 4.50 fabric. you can always find something there.
Not a true statement! I went to a quilt shop for the first time in Kalamazoo MI (which is a pretty large city) and after walking around the shop looking for the clearance section, I asked one of the workers where their clearance or markdown section was located. I was told that they didn't have one and the look and tone of voice this salesperson used definately told me that they were offended that I had asked about a markdown section. Their fabrics were priced $13.99-14.99/yard for the common manufacturers. Batiks were $15-16/yard.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 PM

My favorite Wal-Mart fabric cutters at one store in particular are the guys from either hardware or sporting goods! One even mentioned one day that he always gives at least 1/4 yard extra since they were never 'trained' on how to measure or fold fabric. All of the guys always cut long. The cutting table is catty-corner across the aisle from the sporting goods and even tho they claim to know nothing, they keep an eye on that table to see when someone comes up with bolts. If they get paged, someone is there pronto!
All of this in contrast 180 degrees to the next Wal-Mart...cutting table is in the 'middle' of a section, not on the outside - and it can't be seen by any associate who isn't in the immediate area. IF you walk up to the front, they will page someone, not so much from the other departments. And your wait depends.... maybe its the cycle of the moon...
Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Don't want to be negative but I can't waste my time on Shopping at WalMart or buying fabric there. I avoid it like the plague. Even if you donate the quilt, it should be good quality fabric. Every quilt shop has a sale corner. My shop has an ongoing rack of 4.50 fabric. you can always find something there.

No, not every QS has a sale corner. When bolts starting getting low or it's the end of the fabric line my QS cuts them down to fat quarters and charges $3.00 each for them.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM

Not disappointed here, although I am sure many others are. I guess it would be different if they actually had someone to work in that department, instead of the automotive depart or such. It is too bad though.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:38 PM

The Walmart by my house doesn't have good fabric. I have to go to a walmart over 1/2 hour away to get a halfway decent fabric selection. They have decent fabric mixed in with the junk. I need to have cheaper fabric on some of my donation quilts...in order to be able to keep making them.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 PM

We have two Walmarts in our city. Only one has fabric and the selection is not very good at all. Most of the fabric has been there for quite some time. They seldom ever get any new fabric in. They occasionally have someone in the fabric department but it is hit or miss. I use to buy a lot from Walmart but not any more. I would love to see something besides the same old tired prints they have.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 PM

The smaller Wal-Mart stores only had one aisle for sewing material or supplies for the past few years. The larger ones did have more than only one aisle, but are now cutting back on their sewing supplies also - or so I have also been told. Most retailers will still have good prices on remnants.