Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance >

Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance

Walmart discontinuing 75% of their fabric-On Clearance

Old 05-26-2014, 03:53 AM

I have the most wonderful lady at my Wal Mart. Lacinda is always there. She is a quilter and had been ordering more fabric that is high quality. It is a little more un price but, so worth the money. I have never been to this store and wanted more then a few minutes for help. Except when there is a long line at the cutting table. :-)
Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 AM

Don't want to be negative but I can't waste my time on Shopping at WalMart or buying fabric there. I avoid it like the plague. Even if you donate the quilt, it should be good quality fabric. Every quilt shop has a sale corner. My shop has an ongoing rack of 4.50 fabric. you can always find something there.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 AM

Seems like most WalMart's have given up on their fabric isle, then brought it back with limited supply. Agree their quality leaves something to be desired but sometimes that just doesn't matter. My big complaint is that there is never anyone in the department to help you. You can wait, ring the bell and wait some more only to have someone saunter up who doesn't have a clue about cutting fabric. So, if they aren't selling enough of the fabric this is probably why. It's all about the BIG money. Let's cut employees so that the big guns can make tons more money!!!! Oh I could go on and on......but I won't. Done.....
Old 05-26-2014, 10:09 AM

Our store has a good fabric/notions department and several people who work the dept a lot of the time. They have cheaper sale fabric and 6-7$ a yard quilting fabric, 108" backing materials, mostly in neutrals. On SS with Dr. bills, have to save money where we can and have a new family super store 5 minutes from our house. Sat saw a cart with 3-4 boxes of new material. You have to check quality, but I have found some good buys and some I would not buy. We have one local quilt shop 20+ minutes and seldom have much material on sale, and $12.99 up in price I cannot afford to shop there. Not much else for material for 25 plus miles, there is a Jo Ann's and I am sure some quilt shops. This is a rural area and lots of women are older and sew/quilt.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 AM

We all have budgets. If the best fabric you can afford is found in Walmart, then so be it.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM

I checked the only local quilt shop here and they did not have a clearance section at all. Kind of surprised me. Another shop (30 miles or so) I checked kept hers upstairs. I found the clearance but it was all on the floor in multiple rows, making it very hard to pull out different bolts. Because it took me awhile to see what she had, she must have gotten worried what I was doing because she came up to check on me and then proceeded to put back the bolts I had pulled out to look at. What the heck? Just saying.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:24 AM

When the fabric ladies are working, the service I get in WM is great. When they're not, the situation is 'I might get lucky and find something.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM

I think their problem with fabric is that it's a department that almost has to have a dedicated worker to cut fabric and keep things stocked and straight...and they just don't have those anymore. Almost all Wal-Mart employees are now all-store-trained so that they "float" around the store, working everywhere. Any time I buy fabric in Wal-Mart now, I'm tempted to cut it myself. I'm also sometimes tempted to tidy their fabric shelves because they are always a mess.

As limited and limp along as it is, I hope they don't remove fabric from our stores (they did remove the large fabric department with dedicated clerks from one store years ago and then brought it back, greatly reduced in size).
Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Just went to the nearest WM to check this out. No spectacular markdowns. Two people asked if I needed help while I was jus wandering through the department.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Our local WM has begun stocking fabrics again. Very disappointed in the fabrics themselves. It is all the SAME boring beyond-basic stuff they stocked over 10 yrs. ago. What is with their buyers? It might be handy for emergency sewing items.