Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart Clearance Fabric

Walmart Clearance Fabric

My Walmart not only has fabric - but now has 2 bins of clearance fabric. I know. .there are many many opinions on "Walmart Fabric". I for one - love it.

Their prices are going up as most fabric is but I saw today that they are getting new lines in at $2.50 a yard. I am just thrilled!!!!

My birthday was just the other day - and on my wish list was of course the clearance fabric. I got quite a bit from my daugher and even more from my husband. All in all it was 2 yards of 28 different patterns. Most was $2.00 a yard and many at only $1.00 per yard. I love love love clearance - and the best part is that although there are many substandard yards on sale I am completly confident that what I got is good quality. Don't get me wrong - I know that Quilt Store fabric at $12.00 a yard is different than what I have and I don't mean to compare. I only mean that the stuff I have gotten from Walmart - is just as nice in my opionion as anything at Joanns.

Keep an eye out at your local store - you never know what you might find. The stuff I got from my husband was only about $33.00 and would have been far more than $120.00 had it not been clearance. Some of what I got was originally on the shelf months ago at $6.97 per yard.

Needless to say - it was a very happy birthday
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice fabrics, I for one like most of their fabrics. Some of it is iffy. But when you see the regular price on the clearance bolt you can usually tell if the quality is good. I always check clearance fabric at Walmart nad Joann's. Happy sewing

I'm a fan of Walmart fabric too

Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday! WalMart fabric is great! I just hit the clearance shelfs last night. Let us see your creations in the future.

I have found quality fabrics at Walmart - and some not so quality lol! I also purchased some red fabric at a quilt shop and never could get it to stop bleeding. I was on a trip so I can't return it!

Happy bday and enjoy!!

Blog Entries
    You are lucky to have a Wal mart with fabric

If I see a fabric at Walmart I like, I buy it. No fabric snobbery at this house. If it feels good to the touch, is woven tight and I can't see my hand thru it, it goes home with me.

Looks like you got a wonder selection at a great price!

I hope you had a happy birthday!

It looks like you got a pretty good assortment of colors and prints!

Many Walmart fabrics are ok if you wash and dry them first, then starch them before cutting. When they are dried they tend to "shrink", bringing the fibers closer together so you get a little better "quality" that way. I wash and dry all my fabric first, anyway, then iron and starch it before cutting. They do have some that are closer to a cheesecloth weave so I stay away from those if I do buy there.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Power Poster
    i buy alot of wal-mart fabric especially on sale for 1.00 i use for charity yours is very nice!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Happy Happy Birthday. Sounds like yours was a good one. Pretty colors and prints. I also have purchased some good yardage there and some not so good. Just have to be free with your hands. Happy quilting. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

As long as your happy with it, what does it matter what any one else thinks. Nice array of colors.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Happy Birthday. Congrats on your find especially that pinwheel one.
    DEB CAVAN

Thanks on all the Happy Birthday's. I had a great day!!! I agree - some you can see through and some feel so silky. You really do just have to feel them. Debcavan - the pinwheel one was part of a set they had earlier in the year. That is the one I mentioned that was so expensive and now $1.00 a yard.

I am really excited to see new lines at only $2.50. I have been worried in that all the prices have gone us so dramatically. And I know I am very very lucky to not only have fabric at my Walmart - but to have such a big fabric department

I am happy you got such a wonderful gift. Bet you just keep going back and looking at that beautiful stack!

Nice selection of fabrics. Happy Birthday!!!

Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday! Enjoy your lovely presents!
    Helen T.

Blog Entries
    my second quilt was made from Walmart fabrics. After 6 years and hundreds(?) of washings, it is still holding up - no wear and tear on the fabrics. I still shop Walmart and Joanns in addition to my favorite quilt shop for fabrics. And the Walmart on Marks street in Henderson has added a couple of aisles of fabric to its already existing fabrics. So much to choose from now.

There are so many opinions on walmart fabrics. I don't usually get fabric at my walmart but last time we were there, we found a Dinosaur Train cape and it was 76 cents a yard. I got a yard of it to make my son a cape. I wish I would have gotten more than a yard of it, but I don't know any more kids that are boys to make for them and my son only needs one. I was surprised.....I never run into deals like that. Everything else they had in clearance there was stretchy, like for clothing. Your fabrics you got are way nicer than what my Walmart has. Your very lucky!!! Happy sewing.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Happy Birthday! You have some lovely fabric to add to your stash! Not all LQS fabric is great. No matter where I buy the fabric its closely examined for quality. Theres been many times that I've not purchased at a LQS because I felt the $10 a yard for flimsy fabric was wrong. Just because they are a specialty shop they think they can get by with over charging. I recently was commissioned to make a quilt. We came up with a pattern and gave her fabric samples to choose from, letting her know that one stack was LQS and one stack was not. Her choices were about 50/50. Even after I explained the difference and why some quilters would choose LQS fabric over the others. I personally will cut up anything to put in a quilt. Goodwill dresses, sheets, shirts, are some of my fabric fabrics. Although many of us are not traditional quilters I do try to keep in mind that traditionally they used what they had in order to keep them warm and have something pretty all at the same time.

Just beautiful fabrics, Happy Birthday and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Blog Entries
    I make what I call utility quilt - not the kind you put on display but the kind that can be used day in and day out - thus a need for strong fabric that can stand up against heavy wear and washings; I've had no problems with Walmart fabric, and a friend of mine told me long ago - if you can see through the fabric, leave it on the bolt - don't buy it - it is not quilt quality fabric, and thus I've done just that - so go for it gals, buy, buy, buy! Just watch what you buy- and you'll be happy quilters too... we need to save where we can and still do our hobbies with pride... I've given many quilts for gifts and everyone tells me they are overly happy with them - so it pleases me to hear this.
    JO

Blog Entries
    i have used a lot of their fabrics and they work just fine-I sometimes think they have a better variety than JoAnns as far as prints go and we all have to have osme sort of budget don't we!?????

Really pretty fabric.

Our local Walmart had a couple baskets of clearance too...we hit them with a vengeance! I don't have a problem with their fabric...as in any fabric store, there is good and bad. They had some great stuff...did like you, bought a couple yards of most, or end of bolt if not much more than 2 yards...lol...I'm a hoarder!
    Dejahg
    Co Spgs, CO

Ive gotten some nice fabric at Walmart too, your fabric is sew nice, and Happy Birthday to you.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast