Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing? >

Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing?

Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing?

Old 06-14-2019, 09:46 PM

I lo0k for Disney fabric at Walmart. For a while I would find last year's Disney fabric on sale for about $3.00 a yard while it was twice that. It was the same product just a from the previous year. Kids don't know that. Mickey Mouse is Mickey Mouse. But my little ones are out growing the Disney themed items. (Not sure what's wrong with them - I love my Minnie Mouse pillow case.) Also, I buy various items I need because it's close to the house like zippers and white thread. I also look at some of their rulers and such because they will put them on clearance for a ridiculously low price.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:07 AM

Like some of the others here, I miss the "old" WalMart fabric dept. I was told that when Mrs. Walton passed away, the younger generation changed the fabric stock and this is what we now have. I bought a lot of their fabric when the dept was larger and found it to be acceptable. While it wasn't heirloom, it fit my needs and has held up well for the use we have. There was always at least one employee servicing the dept and she was busy. I first began shopping the remnant bin and that's pretty sparse now--tells me they aren't selling much. They need to bring back the blenders. Rather than discontinuing the dept, they need to consider what they have in it that prompts purchases.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:00 AM

Walmart is Not closing the fabric departments just going in another direction with their merchandise. If you don't like the prepacked line of fabrics call or write and let them know about it. Thank you for the correction on the state abbreviation.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-15-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-15-2019, 04:38 AM

The state of Arkansas is AR --------- not AK. AK is Alaska.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:47 AM

A friend of mine called few days ago and told me that she had just bought Waverly tone on tone fabric, all that was there, (over 20 yards) for $1 a yard at Walmart on a clearance. I really like the Waverly fabric. That fabric company has been around for many, many years. I bought what is now considered home-dec over 20 years ago to make curtains. it was 100% cotton and looks as good now as when I made them. They wash up beautifully. And yes, my dining room still has them hanging, as I love the floral fabric. I am hoping that Walmart does not discontinue that department, as I buy a lot of the Waverly fabric, now that I am into quilting.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:06 AM

Wallyworld is a business, a very successful one. They know the demographics that shop their products

That said what I see here on the board are miles of posts about buying precuts of all sizes. They are following the market trends if that is the direction they are going in.
I kike that they carry rulers and mats, very reasonably, not something I see most shops carrying.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:52 AM

I just came home from Walmart in a neighboring town. Lots of nice fabrics for $1 a yard there. I like the Waverly solids. I also found a gorgeous floral for our Boom swaps. I talked to the clerk there about the closing rumors. Here's what she told me: They are not closing the fabric departments, but they are downsizing them. Corporate has decreed that they want the pre-cut yardage pushed. They don't want the clerk cutting fabric because they think she should be able to cover more isles in the craft dept. She suggested we all call corporate and tell them what we want. They will continue to carry batting, etc. She said they will be cut to just one isle for fabrics, so there should be some killer deals for a little while.

That being said, my local Walmart only has one isle to begin with and they don't have any fabric on sale.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:18 PM

A few years back when my Walmart dropped fabric I got some really good deals. It was so great! The fabric was a good quality and I used it for quilt backing up until a couple of years ago. I was so sad to see the fabric go. Now we have never had fabric added but it doesn't sound like the quality as as good as it was back then. So I guess I don't have to feel bad.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Years ago, like 25 yrs ago Walmart had really good muslin and other fabrics were pretty good as well. A few yrs ago I bought a few yds of fabric in New Jersey, it was inexpensive but thin. I'm wondering how there muslin is today, as I'm on a muslin kick.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 AM

They are reorganizing with pre-cuts and coordinating bolts. I think Walmart knows they have a fabric following. But in their great marketing management They know their profits are lost in employee volume. Even though sporting good people come to cut, it is frequently hard to get help in fabric. So anything you can pick up on your own, is their best savings.My thought is, I like having choices for fabric and shopping sources are becoming scarce.