Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing? >

Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing?

Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing?

Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 PM

I lived overseas for over 10 years. Every couple of years we would fly home to visit. We would come with one suitcase and I would go back with at least two. One was always packed full of fabric I got at Walmart to take back because fabric overseas was so expensive.

Last edited by laaddis; 06-16-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-17-2019, 11:19 AM

Just got back from Walmart and picked up 10 yards of Waverly fabric for $1 / yard. I wasn't thrilled with the quality of this fabric - it is much rougher than Moda, but this is excellent fabric for experimenting or testing embroidery and quilting styles.

The sales associate that assisted me said that this fabric wasn't moving on her shelves. She had many bolts that were not on sale that she said were more popular with the crafters. She also said the corporation was moving to more pre-cuts as has been mentioned before.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:14 AM

I'll have to check out my local Walmart today after quilt group, always need yardage for quilt backs and especially donation backs would be great at $1 yard. I may have to fall off my fabric moratorium but I can always get back on

I recently worked with a bag of scraps/fat quarter remnants that were mostly from Joann and Walmart. Some of the Waverly fabrics were awesome, I was surprised and would use them in any project any time. Others less so, but in general the fat quarters I knew came from Joann were less quality than the Walmart ones. In general, the polka dots and stripes and those that had "screen print" with the Waverly name were the best. Again, in general, the trendier designs (from Waverly/Walmart) were on lesser quality fabric.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 PM

Well I did go to Walmart and I did fall off the fabric moratorium wagon.

There were many fabrics left from the line that were being used in my current project, but none that I liked any better than the border that I already had which is a stash fabric.

Still I bought what was left on the bolt of 3 different bolts, for a total of 15 yards for $15.00. Picked up a number of pre-cut packages to put into the next box for the crumb quilter that will go with the trimmings I already sent her. One was a package of five fat quarters for a buck... I was already going to stand in line, couldn't resist throwing things like that into the stack.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 AM

I spoke to the lady who covers the fabric department at our local WalMart yesterday. She said she has heard nothing about closing the fabric department. They just received a large shipment of new fabric. While there I checked out the packaged precuts. Some are one yard cuts, but they also have 2 yard cuts. Perhaps they are thinking we will opt for precuts over cut fabrics to free up the Associate to cover their other departments. Ours has installed a call button for assistance with cut fabric.

Last edited by Aurora; 06-19-2019 at 02:42 AM.