Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing? >

Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing?

Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing?

Old 06-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Walmart Fabric Dept.Closing?

I'm hearing that Walmart is (again) discontinuing the fabric department. They did that here in the Dallas area a few years ago, but brought it back per popular demand. Now I hear it is happening again.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Walmart closed the fabric dept here at our store in White Lake MI a number of years ago. I can't say I really miss it except for holiday fabrics that I used to make gift bags. (not for quilting). I am sure many miss it still.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:03 PM

The Walmarts in my area are doing a huge change of stock in the fabric department. I spoke to the department manager yesterday while she cut my clearance fabric and she didn't hint or mention the department closing here. I know everywhere is different.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Oh i hope not. i hardly ever buy anything but at least it's there.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-14-2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

They are ruining their fabric dept. by taking out the bolts and selling the little packaged yardage. Yuck. I don't want to buy fabric that way! I know it phases out the need for an actual employee to cut the fabric, as you can never find one anyway. If they want to have a good fabric dept. they need a designated staff person to stay in that dept. and service the customers. All the time.

Or, they could do like Ikea and have self service fabric cutting, where you write down the price and amount on a tag and take it to the register.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 AM

We have a very active fabric department and lots of new fabric. We also have several very active quilt groups in the area. The prepackaged fabric is not popular. They are currently on sale for $1.00. Yes they brought in lots of new prepackaged fabrics, but there is also lots of new yardage being put out as well.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:56 AM

Davenport, IA here....not closing, but changing direction to packaged precut yardages for the most part. They will still carry some bolts of fabric, but not as many as before. Many stores have already clearance out all the bolts they are getting rid of for $1 to $3 a yard. I was told that they are trying to free up time for the woman that works in fabric so that she can take care of all her other aisles such as arts/crafts/Wilton Ware/party stuff and the like. It was suggested once again that if we are unhappy with what Wal-Mart is doing to call the head office or write and tell them our feelings. It worked years ago...maybe it will work again.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 AM

I found the address and phone number for Walmart's head office on Google in case you want o register a complaint with them.
Walmart
702 SW 8th St.
Bentonville, AK 72716

1-800-925-6278

Everyone take the time to let them know !!
Old 06-14-2019, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I seldom buy fabric at Walmart but do buy stabilizers, fusibles, rick rack, and other sewing notions. I noticed new boxes of five one yard cuts being put on the shelves yesterday. The employee was complaining of having to find shelf space for it, said the fabric dept was the most hated of all depts there. If most employees in that dept complain about working in it then the managers will be vocal about getting it closed.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
The Walmarts in my area are doing a huge change of stock in the fabric department. I spoke to the department manager yesterday while she cut my clearance fabric and she didn't hint or mention the department closing here. I know everywhere is different.
They are doing the same thing here in one Walmart in Virginia. When I lived in NC, I was only 6 miles from SC. It was interesting how very different the fabric departments were between the two states.

I don't buy Walmart fabric but I always have to just walk through the department. Guess being a fabriholic does that!